City of Ames celebrates groundbreaking of $32 million Fitch Family Indoor Aquatic Center

Donors+of+the+new+aquatic+center+in+Ames%2C+Iowa%2C+begin+the+groundbreaking++at+the+Aquatic+Center+groundbreaking%2C+April+24%2C+2024.+
Maeley Rosengren
Donors of the new aquatic center in Ames, Iowa, begin the groundbreaking at the Aquatic Center groundbreaking, April 24, 2024.

The City of Ames officially broke ground on the $32 million Fitch Family Indoor Aquatic Center on Wednesday, with about 150 people in attendance.

“This project comes with broad support of communities throughout the county who see this aquatic center as not only an economic development investment but also as an investment in health care,” Lisa Heddens, chair of the Story County Board of Supervisors, said. “If we can provide multiple ways for people to enhance their overall health habits while having fun at the same time, we think we’ve invested dollars wisely.”

The construction of the aquatic center is supported by 47 individuals, organizations and businesses who collectively donated over $10 million to the facility. Richard and Mary Fitch, owners of Furman Realty and the project’s namesake, contributed $3 million.

“Mary and I are happy and fortunate enough to be able to give back to the city where we live, own our business, Furman Corporation and Furman Realty and have raised our children,” Richard Fitch said on behalf of the Fitch family.

Richard Fitch talking on behalf of the Rich and Mary Fitch donors at the Aquatic Center groundbreaking, April 24, 2024. (Maeley Rosengren)

Other significant donors include Mary Greeley Medical Center and Fareway Corporation. In addition to private donations, the project received financial contributions of $500,000 from Story County and was awarded a $500,000 Community Attraction and Tourism Grant from the Iowa Economic Development Authority. 

In an interview with the Daily, Veronica Phillips, director of sales and procurement at AgCertain, said the company wants to see “continued development in Iowa and the surrounding areas.” AgCertain donated $50,000 to the aquatic center.

The aquatic center will offer various amenities, including a lap pool, a recreational pool with a play structure, a current channel, a wellness pool and an interior water slide that loops in and out of the building. Additionally, the facility will include two multi-purpose rooms and a designated walking area, providing options for different activities and interests.

Following the closure of the Municipal Pool at the old Ames High School in 2022, the community was left without a public indoor swimming option, the aquatic center became a top priority of some to meet the needs of Ames and Story County residents.

“I’m honored as a mayor of our city to officiate today, and this is just an exciting day for the Ames community,” Ames Mayor John Haila said. “The Fitch Family Aquatic Center will provide Ames and the surrounding area with a new, exciting indoor recreation facility.” 

The aquatic center will open in the fall of 2025.

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500