LGBTSS Speakers Bureau spreads awareness

Photo: Karuna Ang/Iowa State Daily

Bradley Freihoefer (left), dean of students office, Derrick Moeller, and Christine Peterson, graduate in educational leadership and policy, talk about privilege and oppression during the transition process for transgender people, Monday, Jan. 31, 2011 at Student Services Center.

Katherine Marcheski

One of the most defining characteristics of a person is often the most private and sensitive one. Though sexuality is a very taboo subject in American culture, it has become a pressing political as well as human rights issue.

Iowa made same sex marriage legal in 2009, and is one of the three states that currently allows it.

Iowa State prides itself on being a diverse and welcoming community, with students from all over the country and the world, but do students really know the people they go to school with?

The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender Student Services served more than 2,280 students through its office resources and programs, and about 1,300 students were reached through the Speakers Bureau program.

LGBTSS offers an array of groups and support systems for students who fall into the LGBT category and students who identify as straight as well.

“Everyone has a gender expression and a sexual identity and that is what this office is for. Everybody is welcome, LGBT or straight,” said Brad Freihoefer, director of LGBTSS.

LGBTSS offers student groups, safe-zone training and certification for graduates and staff; National Coming Out Week; pride week; an extra graduation ceremony for LGBT and alliance members; and a campus awareness program called Speakers Bureau.

Speakers Bureau is an outreach program that consists of five panelists  who go to residence halls, classrooms and student organizations to present their coming out stories and offer a time for questions.

Christine “Peety” Peterson, graduate in education leadership policy studies, is one of the many students who make up the Speakers Bureau panel.

“Sometimes I’ve had people come up to me at work or on campus or in classes and be like, ‘Oh, you’re that girl that came to talk to my class,'” Peterson said. “And a lot of them are straight white males and they would be like, ‘Oh, you totally changed my mind, and I really appreciate you coming to do that’ and to have even that one person, you know, maybe he’ll confront his group of guy friends if they say, ‘That’s so gay’ or ‘faggot,’ because of that one experience and that’s overall what we hope to accomplish, and on an even greater scale.”

The LGBTSS office is the 15th oldest LGBT program on a college campus, and was initiated in 1992. The program’s mission “is [to create a] safe space for all members of the university community to explore aspects of sexual orientation and gender issues in an open and non-judgmental atmosphere.”

“Some of my friends got harassed in a dorm and on campus and I got harassed in a dorm, and I thought educating people of these issues was important. There are so many people that are closeted on this campus and I think these stories really help people become more comfortable with themselves,” said Thao Pham, junior in pre-business.

Derrick Moeller, graduate in child, adult and family services, embraced the power of the group.

“I saw the impact and it gave me a sense of empowerment, not to just change a perspective, but to offer a perspective, especially as a transgendered identified student,” Moeller said.

Peterson also said what makes Speakers Bureau not only unique but effective is the educational aspect.

“I really believe in peer-to-peer education. I kind of joined [Speakers Bureau] not really knowing the meaning and impact, but I learned a lot from other peer mentors,” Peterson said.

The Speakers Bureau brings awareness to the community and puts a face to the letters and to the label of LGBT, Peterson said.

“I feel like the term ‘queer’ offers a better insight and a wider umbrella for what I identify with,” Peterson said.

Pham said it gives people the chance to learn how to talk about touchy issues.

“Brad [Freihoefer] always lays down the ground rules, that we won’t be offended by any questions, we just try to offer open dialogue,” Pham said.

The panel begins each presentation by laying down “ground rules” and an explanation about how the presentation works. The members talk about their coming out stories, and offer insight into what it’s like to be gay in college and what it’s like to deal with the stereotypes.

“The assumptions [are what is hardest]. People perceive me as male and that’s not negative, that’s how I want to be seen, but assumptions can be very negative and destructive and they are what build stereotypes,” Moeller said.

A large misconception the group focuses on changing is the correlation between gender expression and orientation.

“Hate and homophobia develop from these stereotypes and assumptions and it hurts gay people and straight people alike,” Peterson said. “It’s a perception that girls have to be ‘girly’ looking, and men have to be ‘manly.’ If a heterosexual man looks a certain way other than the general sense a man should look, he gets called gay.”

Often a sense of invisibility is thrown over the LGBT community.

“Being a part of LGBT isn’t always noticeable, and being a minority is even harder,” Pham said. “I don’t relate to my Vietnamese or Asian culture, I relate more to my LGBT community. But there is this perception that all gay people are Caucasian.”

Peterson described the moment she realized she was gay.

“It all kind of hit me at once, I didn’t know what I was doing, I never kissed a girl or dated a girl, but I dove right in. I knew I was gay,” Peterson said.

The terms “lesbian,” “gay” and “bisexual” are more commonly known and used under the umbrella of LGBT. The “T” for “transgender” isn’t discussed as often.

“I identify myself as transgender, transman or a straight male. However you want to say it. It just felt right to me,” Moeller said.

As a little girl, Moeller used to feel he had to be girly and get dressed up and be the girl his parents wanted him to be in order to find approval and acceptance.

“I originally came out as bisexual at age 18, but that’s only because that was the only other word I knew. I knew I wasn’t straight, so I thought I must be bisexual. Once I started realizing who I was and started accepting it I was really proud,” Moeller said.

The Speakers Bureau aims to offer support for LGBT students and those who are also questioning or allies.

“We live in such gender conforming societies that to think we are anything but cut and dry male and female and only straight is unexpected,” Freihoefer said.

LGBTSS and the Speakers Bureau hope to bring a greater awareness on campus of what it means to be LGBT and all the resources and support offered.

“[I want to] change a perspective, or not even that but just offer a perspective of, you know, this is what a transgender individual looks like, and it’s not … some Hollywood glamor, mis-pictured sort of person, but it’s a real live human being … someone you have class with,” Moeller said.