Movie Review: ‘Easy A’

Gabriel Stoffa

Damn but I do love me some John Hughes films.

“Easy A” is full of references to that marvelous genre, while not being an annoying, cliche teenage movie that so often pollutes the Hollywood world — mind you, “Easy A” does straight-up steal from “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” but it’s the good kind of theft.

I’ll be the first to admit, I thought this was going to be just another meh teen-centered flick that I would watch for a laugh and then become disappointed with. I really wanted to be right; I wanted to tear the movie apart. I was wrong.

This was a high school movie that had substance beyond the typical “message” so many of them attempt to offer. Yes, there were cliches, but it acknowledged them and made them into jokes that were actually funny to an audience.

Now, as much as I praise the flick, I have to try to point out some downfalls. First and foremost, the world in which it is set is too perfect. This is a trivial problem, and is, actually, more of a benefit to the overall tone of the film.

You see, the parents — played by Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson — are the epitome of what cool parents could be in this day and age. I swear to god when I say this, but when I get married and have/adopt children, I plan to be the same kind of father Tucci portrays.

His character almost steals the show with his quick-wit and casual understanding of how to connect with youth. The only thing preventing him from owning the movie, is when Clarkson plays the mother. Her character is the answer to dealing with teenagers trying to figure out life; well, apart from the real hard-cases, but there’s no hard-fast answer to them.

After the parents, you have to acknowledge the actual star of the film, Emma Stone. This girl is like the great lust for zomb-pocalypse situations — see “Zombieland.” Not to mention crowds’ attraction to her through “Superbad.”

Regardless of her attractiveness, the girl has charisma. Her screen-presence actually grabs attention beyond that granted by camera angles. Stone could be a real draw in future box office evaluations, provided she continues to portray the type of roles she currently has — don’t believe me, fine, go look at female Hollywood buildup roles and see what the opening stages are; I think she could be the next Julia Roberts if she doesn’t fall into a drug habit.

Back to the other actors, Thomas Haden Church does a good job as the relevant teacher. His performance slightly apologizes for his annoying “Spider-Man 3” Sandman — that whole movie was kinda bad, so I won’t hold it against Lowell, see “Wings.” His role is similar to the parents’ role in that he is what a teacher should be like in today’s school system, but most across the country are too socially inept to be like — yes, I am taking a swing at teachers in grade school, as from what I see they are really lacking in reaching students for the most part.

Well, as you may not have noticed, “Easy A” struck a chord with me. This movie used a well-known story, “The Scarlet Letter,” and put it into the realm of high school but without becoming lame.

Its jokes were witty and well-timed, the situations were believable-ish for high school stereotypes, the characters went over-the-top but didn’t lose their place and the overall message was something of substance. I guess that was what really got me, the message was meaningful.

I could go on and on about how much I adore a movie with a real message that isn’t lost in sleek advertising or pandering to the masses; instead, I’ll just say “Easy A” is good enough that it should be shown to teenagers in high school instead of most of the other ridiculous videos some school boards’ members and other agenda-bent nincompoops think are pertinent to the development of a youthful mind.

Go out and see “Easy A.” It is well worth your time and money, and leaves you with something not often found in films today: satisfaction in simplicity.