Don’t forget little things like health

Kelsey Jacobs

While dealing with all of the exciting, and sometimes overwhelming, things that go along with coming to college, it is easy to get distracted and let something like staying healthy slip by.

Remembering the basics of hand-washing or using sanitizer before eating, covering coughs in the crook of an elbow and getting enough rest is important. However, if students do get sick, Thielen Student Health Center is available on the western edge of campus.

The health center has eight full-time physicians and two resident nurses. Students pay a health fee that covers regulatory visits, and the center has a pharmacy and X-ray machine on site.

But there are also things students can do to avoid illness.

Eating smart is important for maintaining health. Judy Trumpy, program coordinator of campus dining services, said incoming students should be aware of net nutrition – a part of the ISU Dining website that offers menu listings and nutritional information.

“Students can go [to the website] and plan ahead,” Trumpy said.

“Rather than going down there and have a little of this and a little of that. This way they aren’t overwhelmed with all the choices.”

Trumpy said the best way to stay healthy and well-nourished is to eat from all the food groups. This includes getting enough servings of fruits and vegetables, as well as meat and milk.

Instead of focusing on the number on the scale, Trumpy said to just pay attention to how clothes fit and how you feel. She also said that exercising a little bit every day is important.

“Never get the idea that you don’t have time to exercise,” Trumpy said.

“Exercise is like medicine, it’s like taking a pill to counteract pre-diabetes and high blood pressure.”

Iowa State offers many exercise options for students on both ends of campus, including Lied Recreation Center, Beyer Hall and State Gym, which is close for renovation. Combined, these facilities offer everything: a swimming pool, racquetball courts, treadmills and weights. There are also classes that are free to students.

But exercise doesn’t have to mean going to a gym.

“Try and set your alarm for an extra five minutes early so you can walk to class instead of using the bus,” Trumpy said. “Don’t say you don’t have time or you’re too stressed out to exercise – that doesn’t count. You’re always going to have some stress.”

If students have questions or concerns about health, they can call or visit the wellness center on the second floor of Thielen Student Health Center. The wellness center offers education on topics such as nutrition, sexual health, alcohol and stress management.