SOFTBALL: Cyclones snag win in Lincoln

Senior infielder Courtney Wray looks to throw to first base during the Cyclones’ game against Drake on April 6 at the Southwest Athletic Complex. The Bulldogs beat the Iowa State 3-2. Photo: Logan Gaedke/Iowa State Daily

Logan Gaedke

Jordan Wickstrom —

As a team, the Cyclones were out-hit, struck out more and had less extra base hits than Nebraska.

Despite that, it was the seven walks that would prove to be the most important number as they helped propel the Cyclones to a 6-3 win over the Cornhuskers (26-20, 5-6 Big 12) on Tuesday.

With the win, the Cyclones are now 25-21 and have picked up their third Big 12 victory of the season.

It was only the sixth time the Cyclones have ever won in Lincoln and the second straight time the Cyclones won on the road against the Huskers. With the win, Iowa State also swept the regular-season series.

The Cyclones’ patient approach at the plate helped them to take an early lead in the game and never look back.

Nebraska’s junior pitcher Robin Mackin struggled in her 27th outing of the season. Mackin failed to make it past the first inning, surrendering four runs on one hit while walking five.

Walks had been one of Mackin’s biggest problems this season. Despite entering Tuesday’s game leading her team in wins (12) and innings pitched (136.2), Mackin had also issued 72 walks; 15 more than sophomore pitcher Ashley Hagemann.

Iowa State took full advantage of Mackin’s control problems. In the first inning alone, the Cyclones sent 10 to the plate and opened with a four-run lead despite having just one hit.

The Cyclones knocked Mackin out of the game just two-thirds of an inning into the game. Once Hagemann relieved Mackin, the Cyclones had little difficulty adding on to their lead.

A big fourth inning helped pad the Cyclones’ lead. Senior infielder Courtney Wray doubled home the Cyclones’ fifth run and freshman infielder Erica Miller scored on Hagemann’s wild pitch, giving the Cyclones a 6-1 advantage.

Nebraska’s second home run of the game came off the bat of freshman outfielder Brooke Thomason and cut the ISU lead in half at 6-3.

After knocking junior pitcher Rachel Zabriskie out of the game, sophomore pitcher Lauren Kennewell took over for the final three innings and, despite struggles in the final inning of the game, was able to pick up the first save of her career.

Zabriskie went only four innings and allowed two home runs but was still good enough to hold on for her 20th win of the season — the first 20-win season of her career.

A two-game weekend road trip to Waco, Texas, is up next for the Cyclones. Iowa State will take on Baylor this coming weekend and try to at least tie its win total from last season.