LETTERS: Learn about nonprofits

Ruth Powell

Engineering, business, architecture, psychology … Whatever your field of study might be, please take a moment to consider a new program offered here at Iowa State University. I happened upon it coincidently at the end of last spring. The Non-Profit Protégé Program places ISU undergraduate students with nonprofit leaders to learn about the world of nonprofit management.

As a political science and international studies major, the opportunity seemed perfect for me. I interviewed and promptly received notification that I would be matched with the executive director of the Ames-ISU YWCA, Liz Beck. I was ecstatic because women’s development is an issue I feel very strongly about.

The first time Liz and I met, I knew it would be an intellectually thrilling semester. We were so excited about the program that we actually met before the semester even began.

The knowledge that I acquired through Liz at our weekly meetings was invaluable. We covered topics from crisis management to the basic structure of a nonprofit organization.

I also attended board meetings and fundraising events for the YWCA. This gave me an in-depth view of everything it took to run a successful program.

Sometimes Liz and I would talk business, but other times we would just learn about each other. The learning environment was perfect because I was not afraid to inquire about many aspects of the nonprofit world that a lot of people do not discuss, because it might not paint a very pretty picture. This open dialogue allowed me to see the good and the bad.

At the end of the semester, I felt prepared to engage more directly in a nonprofit career. But most importantly, I learned the essential components of working and managing a group or organization. These essential skills I gained from Liz included time management, dealing with stressful working relationships and more. I learned the valuable role that volunteers play and the priceless work they do.

Within the semester I also utilized my own skills in order to assist the YWCA with acquiring new mentors for their GIRLS Power program. This helped me to not only give back to the organization but also gain precious insight into the difficulties of recruiting volunteers.

I am forever grateful to Liz Beck, the Ames-ISU YWCA and those who helped to coordinate this program. No matter your major, I believe a program like this could be key contribution to your future. Even if you are not planning to pursue a career in nonprofit, understanding the basic concepts and components which make a nonprofit function will have a major impact on the way you view the world.

When thinking about my future, I remember one very basic idea: “You make a living by what you get, you make a life by what you give,” as said by Winston Churchill.

Get involved. Applications are due March 12 for next fall’s program and are available on the Student Activities Center Web site at www.sac.iastate.edu/nppp.

Ruth Powell is a senior in political science.