Weingarten: Why you should study abroad

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

“Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life – and travel – leaves marks on you.” – Anthony Bourdain

As many readers know, I participated in the study abroad program in Cork, Ireland, this semester. As the program draws to a close, I thought it would be helpful to share my experience with anyone who is considering a study abroad program.

I frequently receive questions from friends and fellow students about what the process of studying abroad is like and if it is worthwhile to participate in a program, especially a semester-long one.

The simple answer to this question is an emphatic yes. If you have the opportunity and the means to study abroad for a semester, I do not hesitate in saying that it will be an amazing experience.

However, choosing the right program is very important, and although it can seem daunting, Iowa State has a great study-abroad staff that, in my experience, has been extremely helpful.

The best thing about studying abroad, in my view, is the ability to slowly acclimate to a different culture and an alternate way of living. Although worthwhile, short stays only provide the traveler with a fraction of what is necessary to truly understand and appreciate a particular location. 

Studying abroad, on the other hand, not only allows the student to learn at a different university but also offers a plentiful amount of new experience over the course of an extended period of time. In my case here in Cork, I have met amazing people and established a routine to where I now feel like a part of the city and culture – and this is an invaluable experience to have; something that everyone should try and obtain.

I traveled to other destinations like England, Spain, Portugal, France, Italy and Belgium for relatively cheap. So not only was I able to experience Ireland, but I was also able to travel to places I never would have imagined I could see – and I owe a lot to my study abroad program for opening the door to these opportunities. 

As Bourdain says at the beginning, there is something inherently life-changing about travel and if you do not feel different after you visit a place, you missed the point. The upside to studying abroad is that you become a more well-rounded student – being educated in a different place by different people sharpens any dull edges and makes you more mindful of the experience of others. In the times which we currently live in, I would wager there is perhaps nothing more useful than this.

In sum, if you have the opportunity to study abroad, go. Expand your horizons and allow life and travel to leave permanent marks on you. I promise that you will not ever regret it. You will only regret not going.