WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Fresh faces produce solid efforts

Alison Lacey guards her opponent during the game against Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Sunday at Hilton Coliseum. The Cyclones won 80–64 without starters Kelsey Bolte and Anna Prins. Photo: Karuna Ang/Iowa State Daily

Karuna Ang

Kayci Woodley —

There were fresh faces in the starting lineup of Sunday’s ISU women’s basketball game at Hilton Coliseum. Two starters, Anna Prins and Kelsey Bolte, did not see any action against Arkansas – Pine Bluff.

Freshman center Prins was in dress clothes due to a viral infection, and her status for Thursday’s game against in-state rival Iowa is still unknown. Junior guard Bolte has been struggling with an Achilles’ tendon problem for the last few weeks, and although Bolte was wearing her uniform Sunday, coach Bill Fennelly chose to keep her out in orderto rest up for the Hawkeyes

For the first time in their careers, senior guard Shellie Mosman and sophomore guard Chassidy Cole were two of the five people to take off their warm-ups  first.

“All you want, a lot of times, is an opportunity,” Fennelly said. “And, certainly, Shellie took advantage of that opportunity, played well, and as a senior I think did exactly what our team needed at exactly the right time. And she doesn’t get called on very often, but when she did, she did a great job. [That’s] certainly a game I think she’ll remember her whole life.”

Mosman had a solid performance of 14 points and five assists against the Golden Lions, both of which were career highs for the native of Carroll.

Although Mosman played well when needed, Bolte’s return will take many of those minutes.

Preparing for the rivalry

After a day off from practice Monday, Tuesday was the first day for one of the toughest practices of the season for the Cyclone players.

“Everything is stepped up a level this week, and so I think they understand but won’t know it until Tuesday in practice, when they really get it,” said senior guard Alison Lacey.

A day off to begin the week was much needed for the Cyclones, as Fennelly’s frustration was evident after Sunday’s game, despite the win. Post players were unable to finish in the paint, leading them to be outscored 30–18 down low.

Now, the players will have to adjust after one of the worst performances all season, as far as post play goes, and ready themselves for one of the most highly hyped matchups all year. Along with the pressure to perform better in the post, all the players will feel the pressure of Dead Week and their upcoming finals and projects before the semester ends.

“When we do practice, we have to be ready to go,” Lacey said. “We have to be listening to coach’s advice and what our scouting is going to be; and it’s going to be tough for us, and we’re young, and young girls haven’t been through this. But, really, it’s when we’re on the court we have to be there, and when we’re off we have to be doing finals work and finishing up with school.”

On the Cyclone side

When Lacey first came to Iowa as a teenager, she didn’t know the difference between the Cyclones and the Hawkeyes.

“I didn’t know the difference between Iowa State and Iowa,” Lacey said. “I thought they were the same team, you know? When I came here I was 16.”

She was quick to realize the rivalry between the two universities. Living with her host family while she attended Ballard High School, Lacey quickly turned to Iowa State.

Bolte grew up an ISU fan. Being from Ida Grove, her family often attended ISU football games.