Cyclones cap off road schedule against in-state rival Drake

Tyler Coe
Jaiden Ralston pitches the ball against Drake on May 3, 2023.

Iowa State is set to take on in-state opponent Drake for the team’s last away game of the season Wednesday in Des Moines, Iowa.

The Cyclones are coming off a rough three-game series in Austin, Texas, against the No. 1 Texas Longhorns. Iowa State lost 5-2 in the first outing Friday and lost 8-0 and 9-1 in a doubleheader Saturday.

In the first matchup, Iowa State had one hit through five innings before three doubles drove in two runs, which was the last scoring in the 5-2 loss. Jaiden Ralston had an impressive day in the pitcher’s circle for the Cyclones, allowing three hits in 4.1 innings pitched.

The Longhorns made quick work of Iowa State in the doubleheader, winning dominantly in both matchups. In the first game Saturday, the Cyclones tallied two hits compared to the Longhorns’ 10.

In the final game of the series, Texas came out firing with three runs in the first inning and four runs in the second, making the Cyclones play from behind the entire game. The game ended with a score of 9-1 in five innings.

The Cyclones’ three losses in Austin, Texas, dropped their record to 18-28 overall and 5-16 in Big 12 play. Iowa State is now ninth in the Big 12 after dropping its last seven in conference play.

Drake has a 21-23 record and won two of its three games against the University of Illinois Chicago. The Bulldogs have a 9-12 record in the Missouri Valley Conference.

The Bulldogs are led by Emma Dighton, who has a .346 batting average and a .433 on-base percentage. Dighton is also tied for first on the Bulldogs with nine doubles.

Another powerful batter for Drake is MaKayla Rice, who bats .333. Rice has hit six triples, which leads the Missouri Valley Conference, the next highest being three.

As for Iowa State, getting a few more hits on the board compared to the Texas series is crucial before its last homestand of the season against UCF.

In the Cyclones’ last home game against St. Thomas, they put up 14 hits and 12 runs, compared to 13 hits and three runs across three games against the No. 1 Longhorns.

Iowa State will need to showcase some solid pitching as well, as the Bulldogs have three players hitting over .330. Defense may be the key to winning the game.

Iowa State heads south to take on in-state rival Drake in the 113th installment of the Cyclone-Bulldog matchup at 6 p.m. Wednesday.