WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Similar teams face off in Cy-Hawk series

Kayci Woodley

As the Iowa women’s basketball team steps into Hilton Coliseum on Thursday night, the Hawkeyes are likely to see a sea of cardinal and gold. But after the tipoff at 7 p.m., they will see a team similar to themselves. Not only have Iowa and Iowa State both suffered injuries and illnesses throughout the beginning of the season, but both teams also sport only 12 players on their rosters and will be playing young players in key positions on the floor.

“It’s just one of those things where there’s uniquely young kids involved at very, very important parts,” ISU coach Bill Fennelly said. “Whether it’s point guard, post [or] off the bench, we’re both playing a lot of young players a lot of minutes.”

Freshmen post players Amanda Zimmerman, Chelsea Poppens and Anna Prins have been active parts of the Cyclones’ efforts this season. Zimmerman, however, suffered an injury to her ankle already this season and Prins was on the bench last Sunday due to a viral infection.

The Hawkeyes (5–4) bring five freshmen to the game on Thursday, while the Cyclones (5–1) bring five newcomers — four freshman and sophomore transfer Chassidy Cole. The most glaring difference between the two teams will be senior leadership. As Iowa’s lone senior JoAnn Hamlin was sidelined for the remainder of the season due to an injury, the Cyclones post five seniors on the lineup.

While Iowa State may lead in the senior category, out of the five seniors, only one has seen a significant amount of playing time — guard Alison Lacey. Apart from that, both the Cyclones and Hawkeyes have brand new players in the post position competing in one of the biggest games of the season.

“There [have] been times we’ve had younger players, but I don’t know that there’s been a time where we’ve had young players doing so many prominent things in the game,” Fennelly said.

Injury and illness are no stranger to Iowa, as five Hawkeyes have missed all or part of the first four games of the season. Junior Kachine Alexander was sidelined after a stress fracture and is predicted to be out until mid-December. Prior to the injury Alexander was averaging 21 points, 15.7 rebounds and 4.3 assists as a starting guard and leading scorer for Iowa. Another Hawkeye will go without playing for the entire season, as Hamlin, Iowa’s only senior, was hospitalized Nov. 8 due to a blood clot in her right leg. The removal of the clot will keep her from playing basketball ever again.

Due to the high number of Hawkeye injuries, other players have been forced to step into the spotlight for Iowa.

“[Kamille] Wahlin is a very good player and I think Jaime Printy is playing above and beyond her years, and they’ve done a really good job with Morgan Johnson to have her kind of be the focal point of their inside game right off the bat,” Fennelly said.

Johnson was the second-highest scorer for the Hawkeyes against Michigan last Sunday, posting 12 points against the Wolverines. If Prins is back in the lineup Thursday, it will be the 6-foot-5-inch Johnson against the 6-foot-7-inch Prins in the paint.

“We won’t have an excuse because our post players are freshmen and Iowa’s are as well,” Fennelly said. “All the post players who will play a predominant roll in the game, it’s the first time they’ve played in this game.”

In general, ISU post players will have to pick it up a notch and finish shots down low after a sloppy performance on Sunday against Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

“The number one thing is we’ve got to be a lot more efficient in the post than we’ve been,” Fennelly said. “We have to go better than 5-for-15 from the field, we have to not turn the ball over seven times in the post.”

The teams enter Hilton Coliseum on Thursday night for the annual rivalry game, and this year the grudge match will be new to many players on both teams. The question won’t be, “Do they realize the importance of the game?” but rather can the team handle this large a stage as freshmen.

“I don’t think there’s any question that our kids are excited about playing, these are fun games, our kids are excited that we’re playing here,” Fennelly said.

Iowa State enters the contest after an incredible performance from beyond the arc and a dominating effort by Lacey on Sunday against Arkansas-Pine Bluff. However,the Hawkeyes head to Ames after a recent loss to Big 10 opponent Michigan on Sunday.

“If you’re not juiced up to be in this kind of game you’re probably in the wrong place, and certainly in the wrong state right now,” Fennelly said.