MEN’S BASKETBALL: Iowa State begins practice in new facility

Ron Smith, director of basketball operations giving the tour of the new basketball practice facility, Monday, September 21, 2009. The men's basketball team has began practicing and lifting weights in the new facility. Photo: Rashah McChesney/Iowa State Daily

Rashah McChesney

Ron Smith, director of basketball operations giving the tour of the new basketball practice facility, Monday, September 21, 2009. The men’s basketball team has began practicing and lifting weights in the new facility. Photo: Rashah McChesney/Iowa State Daily

Chris Cuellar

Thousands of students workout every day at Iowa State’sdifferent facilities in an effort to get stronger, get into shape or just maintain activity, but not all of those students have an access code to a brand new $8 million facility or play basketball in front of 15,000 fans at Hilton Coliseum.

With the construction of ISU basketball’s training facility, the men’s team has a home where they can spend nearly every hour of the day.

Fans expect progress from one year to the next, but while moving the practice court from opposite ends of campus seems like an easy answer, NCAA time restrictions and player’s schedules mean that personal responsibility is key.

“Up until Sept. 15, we’re able to do individual workouts with a few guys at a time. We break them up into guards in one group, wings in one group and posts in another,” said assistant coach T.J. Otzelberger. “We do a lot of ball handling, shooting, post moves for the bigs, things like that. Then once Sept. 15 hits for us, we get two hours a week all the way through with the guys.”

Working two hours into a schedule can be difficult, even for the best micro-managers, but the coaches turn that time into three 40-minute segments, where they are now working on implementing the team’s offensive and defensive schemes.

“The guys have a higher level of responsibility to come in on their own and get extra shots, work on ball handling and those things, but obviously with the new practice facility we kinda have to kick them out of here. They’re here all the time,” Otzelberger said.

Cyclone fans certainly won’t be upset hearing that the team is putting together its own practices and workouts to improve, and with the newcomers combining with the veterans for pick-up basketball and weightlifting, the team is trying its best to become one unit.

The players organize their own pick-up basketball games in west Ames three times a week and follow a weight training program four days a week.

“We do upper body, lower body and we switch it up every day,” said scoring and rebounding leader Craig Brackins. “Bench press, push-ups, pull-ups, chin-ups — basically everything just trying to get the body ready.”

Brackins and guard Lucca Staiger also benefited from playing top competition in the offseason at the University Games for the U.S. and Germany, respectively, with Staiger just returning last week from national team play.

In that time, Brackins mentioned that he briefly lost weight from the diet in Europe, but that his weight training hasn’t suffered, as he is bench pressing around 240 pounds. With a reach that stretches nearly 7 feet, any progress is an accomplishment.

“It used to be hard because I didn’t have any strength in [my arms], but now it’s getting easier,” Brackins said. “I know when I first came here, the most I could do was two [reps]. Now I can do like 30-something in one sitting. I made a big jump, so I made a lot of progress.”

True freshman Chris Colvin, a player that is expected to make significant contributions in his first season with the Cyclones, is happy to be with the team and is building his strength with essentially the same lifts from high school — but with nicer surroundings.

“The gym is open 24 hours, so we’ve got the chance to come in late-night and get some shots in. That’s a pretty good thing,” Colvin said. “You can shoot, you can relax, you can lift weights, you can do everything in here.”

Explosion and core training is important for a basketball team, but the Cyclones will need to transform fresh hardwood and a prime workout set-up into progress heading into November.

As an iPod blares music through the gym’s speakers, the Cyclones are having fun playing pick-up basketball, but it’s not like the pick-up ball that’s being played at Lied Recreation Athletic Center in the evenings. This five-on-five is working to get some place.