TENNIS: Freshmen impress as Cyclones win a pair of singles titles at Drake Invite

Iowa State sophomore Erin Karonis hits the ball during a doubles match against Texas with Kara Hickey on Friday, Mar. 27, 2009, at the Ames Racquet & Fitness Center. The pair lost 9-7. Photo: Shing Kai Chan/Iowa State Daily

Dan Tracy

Trying to build off its most successful season since 1996, the ISU tennis team kicked off the 2009 fall season with an impressive showing this weekend at both the Drake Invitational in Des Moines and the Gopher Invitational at the University of Minnesota. The team was split up this weekend, allowing the squad to play in a total of 54 matches.

On Friday, the team began competition by going 7–3 in singles play and 5–4 in doubles matches. Returning All-Big 12 honoree Erin Karonis began her season with a battle in her three-set win, 2–6, 6–4, 7–6 (7–2) over Steffi Weinstein of Big 12 opponent Nebraska.

The team began its dominance at the Drake Invitational by winning eight of its nine matches on Saturday, setting up both finals to be comprised of all ISU players. At the Gopher Invite, the team’s lone senior, Alyssa Palen, bounced back from an opening-day loss to win both of her matches, dropping only one game in four sets.

Although it was automatic that both singles titles at the Drake Invitational belonged to the Cyclones, the four teammates faced off against each other in both the ‘A’ and ‘B’ singles finals. Sophomore Maria Macedo defeated fellow sophomore Tessa Lang for the ‘A’ singles title, and freshman Jenna Langhorst completed her undefeated collegiate debut with a 6–2, 6–2 win over freshman teammate Jasmine Lee in the ‘B’ singles division.

The Gopher Invitational squad finished out the tournament with a 5–0 day in singles play, led by another three-set win by Karonis over rival Iowa’s Lynn Poggensee-Wei, 6–4, 6–7 (6–8), 6–3.

“I could not be happier on how we performed at the Drake Invitational,” coach Armando Espinosa said. “Gopher Invite squad learned to adjust and that is a great step for us. The team faced a few losses early on, but then bounced back and found a way to win.”

Coming as a surprise to Espinosa was the play of the team’s three new freshmen, Lee, Langhorst and Ellie Nixon. The trio played at the Drake Invitational and went a combined 8–2 in singles play.

“I am happy to see that the freshmen are getting used to the college environment, their results were very impressive as they all got the final in their respective draw,” Espinosa said. “I am hopeful that they will gain confidence from this tournament and get ready to play in the Kansas Invitational in October.”

The team will split up for their next competition again in three weeks as half the team will head to the ITA Regional Championships in Norman, Okla., and the other half will be in Lawrence, Kan., for the Kansas Invitational from October 21–25.