The upcoming season from ISU Theatre

Rachel Trampel

ISU Theatre is all geared up and ready to present a new lineup of both familiar and maybe some not-so-familiar titles to both students and the community this upcoming year.

Jane Cox, director of ISU Theatre and theatre professor, said the process to develop the play lineup for this year took a lot of time, as students, faculty and staff offered suggestions that they went through to make a decision.

“We try to come up with as many ideas that provide plenty of opportunities for the students,” Cox said.

Cox said they “try to balance the seasons in many different ways” by considering the number of roles offered for both genders and different themes and trying to include at least two plays a general audience would have heard of before.

Although the cast for “Fifth of July” and “Tartuffe” have already been chosen, there are plenty of opportunities to get involved in other productions.

Auditions for “A Christmas Carol” will be held the second week of October. Auditions for the spring plays have not been held yet.

Cox said employment is available in the costume shop, the box office and design opportunities where students design the costumes.

ISU Theatre will also put on a student-produced show. If students are interested, proposal guidelines can be found online and are due Oct. 3.

The first production, “Fifth of July,” will open Oct. 3 in Fisher Theater.

Brad Dell, ISU Theatre faculty member and director of “Fifth of July” is beginning his fourth year at Iowa State both directing and teaching. He said he started working on this production last March.

Dell said the biggest difference between working with students and working with professional actors is being able to connect with the students on a deeper level and see their personal growth.

“I love the sense of discovery that happens and the growth I see when working with them in class,” Dell said.

Cox said the cast is very committed and that people “can expect really good quality theater.”

Goals for ISU Theatre for this year, Cox said, include bringing in new students and more audience members.

“We want to get the community and students so there are a great variety of people in our audience,” Cox said.

2008-2009 shows from ISU Theatre

“Fifth of July,” Fisher Theater — Oct. 3, 4, 5, 10, 11 and 12

“Tartuffe,” Fisher Theater — Nov. 6, 7, 8 and 9

“A Christmas Carol,” Fisher Theater — Dec. 5, 6, 7, 12, 13 and 14

“The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail,” Fisher Theater — Feb. 27, 28, Mar. 1, 6, 7 and 8

“Gypsy,” Fisher Theater — Apr. 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19

“Vinegar Tom,” Maintenance Shop — Apr. 30, May 1, 2 and 3