Painting dedicated to influential people

Allison Suesse

Without the contributions from Archie and Nancy Martin, hundreds of black students would not have had the opportunity to attend college.

On Tuesday, a painting dedication ceremony took place at Martin Hall. Brenda Jones, associate professor of art and design, was the artist of the portrait of one of Iowa State’s most influential couples. As Jones is in Italy, she was unable to attend the dedication ceremony.

Mary Martin Carr, granddaughter of Archie and Nancy, has been collecting information about her grandparents for the historical society about African Americans. Martin-Carr said her grandparents “were born into slavery, and were seven when the Emancipation Proclamation was signed.”

Despite hardships, the Martins developed an “understanding and caring” character — “the kind of character the Bible talks about,” said Frederick Martin, grandson of Archie and Nancy.

The Martins moved to Ames where they took up residence at a house on Lincoln Way, which is still standing and is owned by one of the Martin’s decedents.

The couple opened their home to black students in the mid 1930s, Frederick said. Without the use of the Martin’s home, these students would not have a place to stay, as the dorms on campus were available only for white students. Some of the students who the Martin’s opened their home to were from the west coast of Africa. These students later went back to their home country and “became high in government positions,” Frederick said. A number of other distinguished alumni were guests of the Martins’ while receiving their college education.

Frederick said his grandparents were also a “strong influence” on him. Martin said he spent a large portion of time at his grandparents’ house and was “intrigued by the young men” who were living at his grandparents’ house. The students the Martins housed caused him to be curious about what they were learning and education in general. Martin said his grandfather showed him what he knew about gardening, and also taught him the value of hard work and education. The information that Archie shared with him was also given to the students living in their home.

“He would tell these young men [living at his home] that you need to be responsible and disciplined so you can get your degree at Iowa State,” Frederick said. “Because education becomes strength and power.”

Martin said hearing the “constant expectation” from his grandparents to seize the opportunity to receive and value education influenced him to be a successful student at Iowa State. Martin studied biological science, and later went on to receive a degree in dentistry.

In 2002, the Martin Foundation, which sponsored the ceremony, was established to “further the legacy” of Nancy and Archie, said Kelly Simmons, great-granddaughter of the Martins. The Martin Foundation was behind the dedication of Martin Hall, one of Iowa State’s new living centers in 2004. The Martin Foundation also has plans to create a scholarship for students, and is funded by personal contributions and fundraising.