Banquet honors LGBTAA

Allison Suesse

The second annual LGBTAA Family Banquet capped off the end of its Awareness Week that spotlighted various members of the group.

On Saturday, members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Ally Alliance gathered in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union for the banquet.

The banquet brought in between 50 and 65 members and their families to listen to speakers, including the president of the organization, Christine Peterson.

The ISU LGBTAA consists of about 150 to 200 members and has been active on campus for an estimated 15 years. The organization is open to all students, regardless of their sexual orientation, who are interested in offering their support and alliance to the LGBT community.

Peterson, sophomore in child, adult and family services, has been a member of the organization for two years and said she got involved in the organization through mutual friends.

“I’ve grown up a lot due to the organization,” Peterson said. “I feel more comfortable and confident being an ‘out’ student at ISU.”

Peterson said the organization is a place where student members of the LGBT community can gather and find social events safe for them to attend.

Along with social events, the club is proactive in spreading awareness of the community that is often underrepresented.

In the organization, Peterson said, they talk about political matters such as same-sex marriages or stereotypes. Members of the organization participate in activities such as watching films and offer support for students during National Coming Out Week.

Students who are not part of the LGBT community are welcome to come to meetings and offer their support, Peterson said. If students are not necessarily interested in joining the organization, they are encouraged to respect the events put on by the LGBTAA.

Kris Olds, adviser of the LGBTAA for two-and-a-half years, said it’s important to have a club like LGBTAA on campus.

“When students find a community on campus, they’re more likely to succeed,” Olds said. “Students need to find an environment where people are similar to them and support them. Beyond that, students need to feel like a part of the community and the LGBTAA helps them.”

Rachel Johnson, freshman in English, agrees with Olds about the importance of the organization.

“It’s a really good experience. I met a lot of new people,” Johnson said.

Johnson said she is planning on continuing her membership in the organization in years to come.