Harper, Pierce named 2009 Veishea co-chairs

Thomas Grundmeier

The two general co-chairs for the 2009 Veishea celebration have been named.

The individuals are Elyse Harper, senior in psychology, and Mark Pierce, sophomore in agricultural business. Both served as Veishea chairs this year – Harper was the campus and community involvement co-chairwoman, and Pierce was the catering committee co-chairman.

Harper and Pierce were chosen Thursday night after a team of six reviewed the five applicants for the co-chair positions. The 2008 Veishea general co-chairs, Kyle Peterson, junior in marketing, and Megan Todd, senior in marketing, were among those who interviewed the applicants last week.

This year’s Veishea general advisers, Gail Ferlazzo, associate director of the Memorial Union, and Kris Olds, interim assistant director of student activities, were also involved, as were Tom Hill, vice president for student affairs, and Richard Reynolds, director of the Memorial Union.

Each applicant was required to write four short essays and share his or her proposals and suggestions for next year’s Veishea at the interviews, Todd said.

“I’m really honored that I got chosen to lead this celebration that means so much to all Iowa State students and alumni,” Harper said of her selection. “I’m really excited to try and make it the best Veishea ever.”

Pierce said he shares Harper’s goal of making next year’s Veishea a celebration to remember for a time to come.

“I look forward to working hard at making the 2009 Veishea a fun experience for all students, and I look forward to working with the students and listening to their concerns and working to make it the best Veishea yet,” Pierce said.

The 2009 Veishea event is currently scheduled to run April 13-19.