Action in California and Alabama for women’s track

Katlyn Campbell/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State distance runner Abby Caldwell nears the finish line after running a 6k during the 2018 Big 12 Cross Country Championships held on Oct. 26 at Iowa State. Caldwell placed 29th overall for the women’s division with a time of 21:23.0. The women’s team placed first overall with a score of 35, winning the Championships.

Rachel Neumann

The Cyclones were back in action at Stanford and Auburn on Saturday.

The first event in Auburn was the 400 meter dash. Freshman Sydney Milani finished in 13th with a time 55.82.  In the 800 meter race, sophomore Maggie Davis placed ninth at 2:15.65 and teammate Lauren Hoogensen finished behind her at 22nd.

Next up was the 1500 meter race. Sophomore Anna Herriott finished 15th with an official time of 4:55.75. Her teammate, sophomore Brina Kraft, came in at 22nd place just under 15 seconds behind Herriott.

The 100 meter hurdles was once again a successful event for the Iowa State team. In second place, freshman Keira Christie-Galloway finished in a time of 13.54. Her freshman teammates finished behind her, Kaylyn Hall in fourth and Katarina Vlahovic in ninth. Sophomore Emily Coghill also ran in this event and finished in 13th.

Hall had a quick turnaround after the 100 meter hurdles and competed in the 400 meter hurdles. She ran a time of 1:01.92 and finished in fourth. Senior Emma Whigham finished right behind Hall in fifth.

After winning the 4×100 meter relay the day before, the same relay group failed to finish the race on Saturday, leaving them out of the rankings. However the other Iowa State relay, the 4×400, placed sixth with a time of 3:54.96. The team consisted of: Whigham, Milani, Hall and Davis.

The field events were successful for the Cyclones. Freshman Megan Durbin finished tied in third for the high jump. In the long jump, sophomore Jalaiya Bartley finished in 22nd with her freshman teammate Erika Furbeck behind her in 23rd. Keiara Williams also placed eighth in the women’s shot put.

In California, only two events were ran for the women. Junior Gwynne Wright finished in third for the 1500 meter run. She finished with a time of 4:26.48. The other event was the 3000m steeplechase, where seniors Kelly Naumann and Abby Caldwell competed. Naumann placed fifth and Caldwell in seventh.

The Cyclones will be at the Drake Relays next weekend in Des Moines, Iowa.