Wildness symposium merges creativity, nature

Thomas Grundmeier

Beginning Sunday, Ames and Iowa State will become a menagerie of some of the nation’s brightest writers, artists, musicians and environmentalists.

The fourth annual Symposium on Wildness, Wilderness and the Creative Imagination will span three days and comprise more than a dozen events.

The theme of this year’s symposium is “Earth, Animal, Oracle.” The director of the symposium, Mary Swander, distinguished professor of English, said the theme reflects the nature of most of the speakers and events. “Oracle,” she said, represents wisdom about a particular subject as well as predictions for the future.

“The goal is to provide a sense of community for students, faculty and the surrounding area to come together and think of ideas of wildness, wilderness and fine arts and environmentalism,” Swander said.

This is Swander’s second year directing the symposium. After just one year, Swander said she has seen a dramatic increase in support and interest from within the university and the surrounding community.

“We’re a land-grant university, and part of our mission is outreach,” Swander said. “We’re one of the premier institutions in the arts and science and technology so, as artists, we’re trying to work with our colleagues here in a productive way.”

Throughout the week, students will have a chance to network with professional authors – some of them ISU alumni – at various luncheons and panels. Other events include live music, readings and a local field trip.

Swander recommended students take advantage of the opportunities to speak with alumni who have been published since they graduated.

“There’s special sessions set up just for students,” she said. “That’s one of the reasons I have that alumni panel.”

The biggest draw is expected to be the evening speakers. The symposium’s keynote speaker Sunday night is author Brenda Peterson, of Seattle.

Peterson will be speaking on her experience in the Northwest, where, with friends and neighbors, she sat on the shore of the Salish Sea and observed seals come ashore. If the pups were left ashore, Peterson and a group of about 25 others protected the vulnerable pups by staying at the beach and putting up caution tape around the perimeter.

Peterson said her efforts have resonated all over the country.

“We just need to educate ourselves to be able to embrace this wild population instead of endangering it,” Peterson said. “We all have urban wildlife – the trick is not to conquer, but to share, learn to live side by side.”

The symposium is funded by campus departments, clubs and organizations, but the primary sources of funding are the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the Committee on Lectures, which is funded by the Government of the Student Body.

Wildness Calendar of Events

Sunday

1 p.m.

English Club luncheon with Zachary Jack

Cafe Diem

229 Main St.

2 p.m.

Reading: “Letters to a Young Iowan”

With ISU alumni and faculty and community members

Ames Public Library

515 Douglas Ave.

7 p.m.

Performance: Inpanh Thavonekhan

Laotian flute music and woodcarving

Sun Room

Memorial Union

8 p.m.

Keynote: Brenda Peterson, “Rapture in the Earth”

Sun Room

Memorial Union

Monday

9 a.m.

Workshop: Brenda Peterson, “The Craft of Environmental Fiction”

Pioneer Room

Memorial Union

10:15 a.m.

Books of Place and the Cartography of the Self with ISU alumni

Pioneer Room

Memorial Union

11:15 a.m.

Discussion: ISU Alums Discuss the Writing Process

Pioneer Room

Memorial Union

1 p.m.

Paul Brooke and Ken Waldman

Poetry reading, fiddle music and slide show

Pioneer Room

Memorial Union

2:15 p.m.

Panel: Black Earth Institute: “Plants and Animals in the Field, Oracles on the Page”

Pioneer Room

Memorial Union

7:30 p.m.

Fiddle Music and Natural History Slide Show

Sun Room

Memorial Union

8 p.m.

Read: Ven Begamudré and Sheryl St. Germain

Sun Room

Memorial Union

9 p.m.

Reception

Sun Room

Memorial Union

Tuesday

9 a.m.

Panel: “What Can Wildlife Tell Us About Our Changing World?”

Pioneer Room

Memorial Union

10:45 a.m.

Reader’s Theater Play: “Farmscape: Documenting the Changing Rural Environment”

Pioneer Room

Memorial Union

1 p.m.

Field Trip: The Reactor Woods with Jim Pease

Ontario Street

Ames