Officials chalk up the truth about learning disabilities

Andrea Beisser

A poor grade on an exam may not be just the result of not working hard enough. Feelings of irritability and anxiety may not be just a random mood swing. Low self-esteem and a lack of confidence may not be just another bad day.

Academic endeavors and the concomitant stresses of making deadlines, attending classes, completing assignments and still making good grades are essential parts of university life. But feelings of anxiety, depression, unhappiness, loss of interest and low self-esteem aren’t part of that – they may indicate that something else is affecting one’s ability to learn: a learning disorder.

Though stigmatized, learning disorders are not indicative of low intelligence. The term simply encompasses a group of disorders that affect how students speak, listen, read, write, reason and organize information. A student afflicted with a learning disability may spend hours poring over books, absorbing little because of an inability to focus and store information.

Kenneth Mills, licensed psychologist in Ames, said the attentive capacity required to be successful in an academic setting may fail under in the presence of a learning disability. Treating up to 100 ISU students per academic year, Mills sees many situations that cause poor academic performance among students.

“I see a lot of attention disorders, including depression, anxiety, hyperactivity, drug and alcohol problems, trauma injuries, and obsessive-compulsive tendencies,” he said.

Depression and anxiety are two of the most common disorders seen in the university atmosphere.

Mills said most students have more difficulty with studying and learning in college than they experienced in high school.

“Ten to 15 years ago, a student received more guidance from universities on where to channel their academic interests and discover career goals,” he said. “Now they are given the tools to learn, but sometimes lack direction.

“Needs in college involve two main ideas. One, that students are encouraged in their abilities, and two, they develop study skills that bring out their strengths and expose weaknesses. The first set of exams brings in a wave of students to my office who felt they studied hard and ended up with a poor grade. Many are referred by the Disability Resources Center at Iowa State.”

The Student Disability Resources Office, located in Room 1076 of the Student Services Building, offers opportunities for students to discuss their academic concerns and the accommodations available to be successful with an adviser.

The center’s mission is to reach out to all students to help dispel the stigma of having a learning disability and to provide students the tools to succeed in both academic and vocational endeavors.

“The biggest roadblock for students that may need assistance is stigma,” said Steve Moats, director of the Student Disability Resources Office. “They don’t want to be labeled with having a learning disability and fear what others will think.

“Many students from caring high schools with good instructors don’t realize they have a learning difficulty until they reach college. At the center, we help diagnose specific challenges and allow students access to the law so they can show what they know in the classroom. There are lots of success stories.”

The Student Disability Resources Office supports around 500 students who need special accommodations each semester. Each October, SDR recognizes Disability Awareness Week and provides inspirational speakers, films and other activities to help create awareness of learning challenges.

“It’s important how people see themselves, and we are here to create a positive image,” said John Hirschman, program coordinator for the SDR office.

Many adults change their careers five to six times after college, so being expected to figure out a “life plan” can be stressful and frustrating for students. Sometimes, being appropriately diagnosed with a learning disorder can eliminate roadblocks in a student’s success at the university and in his or her future career.

“Diagnosing a problem is the most difficult part because people don’t want to feel they have a problem,” said Marla Onishi, family medicine physician at Mercy West Medical Center in Des Moines.

Recognizing symptoms and getting diagnosed before a condition interferes too greatly with school is essential.

“It’s imperative to not be embarrassed or in denial about having a learning problem,” Mills said. “Many of the professors I’ve worked with have been more than happy to make proper accommodations for students needing them.”