Student, faculty, staff survey suggests Iowa State is great place to learn, work

Sarah Thiele

For those who bothered to respond to a survey earlier this year, most agreed that Iowa State is a great place to learn and work.

The Professional and Scientific Professional Development Committee met Thursday afternoon to discuss the results of the University Life Survey and Keep Iowa State Beautiful campaign.

Associate Provost Susan Carlson gave a special presentation about the University Life Survey, also known as the Priority Five Survey, that was administered to ISU faculty, staff and students in February 2007.

“A committee of faculty and staff worked for over a year to design a way to measure our programs to ensure that the university is a great place to learn and work,” Carlson said.

Of the 29,179 faculty, staff and students surveyed, only 4,879 responded – 16.7 percent. Only 8.7 percent of undergraduate students responded, compared to 40.4 percent of faculty.

Carlson said 86.5 percent of respondents agreed that Iowa State is a great place to learn. In addition, 75.6 percent of faculty and staff who responded think that Iowa State is a great place to work.

“Student responses were excluded from the percentage because so many of them really didn’t know how to answer the question, seeing as over 40 percent of them were neutral,” Carlson said.

Respondents were also asked what goals were most important for the campaign. Carlson said the most popular three were: first, to recruit and retain faculty, staff and students who are dedicated to excellence; second, to foster an environment in which all members of the university community may pursue satisfying personal lives; and third, to achieve a sustainable balance between responsibilities and resources.

Melanie Smith, program coordinator for the Dual Career Opportunities Program, spoke on one feature of life at Iowa State that most respondents agreed on.

“The item that got that highest level of agreement was the question asking whether or not participants agreed Iowa State had a beautiful campus, and over 90 percent agreed that it was,” Smith said.

Smith said the survey will be administered again in spring 2009.

Emily Hurm, academic adviser for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, spoke about the Keep Iowa State Beautiful campaign for the first time. The committee will vote to support the campaign at its meeting in January.

“The Keep Iowa State Beautiful Committee was formed as a result of a conversation that took place at a President’s Council meeting in which Jeff Johnson [ISU Alumni Association director] brought up the litter issue on campus,” she said.

Hurm the committee is working to find new ways to encourage cleanliness on campus.

“This year’s slogan is ‘Cy says . Keep it Clean, Keep it Green,’ so if you’ve seen any those signs when you’re throwing your trash away that’s what those are about,” Hurm said.

Iowa State is the first college or university to partner with Keep Iowa Beautiful.