Senator takes questions at Ames City Hall

Ross Boettcher

It’s no question that presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., is a busy man.

After speaking to students at Central Campus on Friday, Obama took to the podium again at Ames City Hall where he addressed a wide age group, ranging from high school students to retirees.

Obama got right down to business with the crowd, elaborating on a number of his views and stances and answering questions about current topics in the news.

One of the topics that Obama talked about of was the recent Tasering of Andrew Meyer, a University of Florida student during a forum Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass.

“I don’t know the details about the Tasering,” Obama said. “Other than as a general rule I don’t believe in Tasering for people that are simply disruptive but not violent.”

Obama said he hadn’t heard of the pair of students that were shot on the Delaware State campus early Friday morning. “You know, I did not hear about the shootings from this morning,” Obama said.

The Democratic presidential candidate spoke about current campaign goals.

Obama made strong statements about health care and energy reform, but the most important point may have been his address to the people who have questioned the amount of time he has held a state office position.

“This whole experience issue originally confused me – I didn’t know what they were talking about,” Obama said. “I’ve been in public service for over 20 years. As a state legislator, as a U.S. Senator, as a community organizer and a constitutional law professor.”

In the end, it was a chant that brought the Senator’s supporters to their feet.

The phrases “fire it up” and “ready to go” boomed as Obama concluded his speech with a story of a trip to visit the small town of Greenwood, S.C.

In attendance at Obama’s second appearance in Ames were a strong showing from high school students and the BarackStars.

The BarackStars, a high-school-based group of Obama supporters, were represented by Ames High School BarackStars President Chris Elsenbast, an Ames High School student.

When Elsenbast took the stage to introduce Obama, he made a point about his own age group.

“Senator Obama’s campaign has so many aspects that gravitate to high school and college students,” Elsenbast said. “I think that’s why he has such a loyal young following.”