Student involvement surges at ClubFest

Ross Boettcher

Thursday afternoon, the Lied Recreation Athletic Center was opened up to the fall ClubFest and quickly transformed into a launchpad.

That launchpad provided an opportunity for clubs, organizations and most importantly, student involvement to hit its stride this school year.

Organizations participating at Thursday’s event varied from fraternities and sororities to the ISU Rodeo Club, Agronomy Club and Medieval Combat Society.

Between the close to 200 clubs featured at ClubFest, there were more than enough options to touch every base of interest for students.

Jennifer Garrett, program coordinator for the Memorial Union’s east student office space, said ClubFest offered a fantastic opportunity for all students to get involved.

“I think it’s a good opportunity for students to learn about the different leadership opportunities around campus,” Garrett said. “We’ve been working on putting this event together since last year’s ClubFest in January.”

In years past, ClubFest has been held in the Memorial Union, but because of the current construction, officials decided to move the event to Lied.

Participants said the decision didn’t deter the environment of the event overall.

“I think this is a really good event; I’ve already signed up for 10 clubs,” said Tabitha Uhl, freshman in pre-business.

“Everyone is really friendly; we’ve been here for 45 minutes already.”

Even students who had no idea what they were looking to get involved in had a hard time not finding an organization that fit their interest.

“There’s a bunch of clubs here; there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be involved,” said Randy Grayson, freshman in liberal arts and sciences-open option. “There’s a club for everybody.”