Dean of students candidate Somerville names student retention as major goal

Shelby Hayes

As a candidate for the dean of students position at Iowa State, Dione Somerville spoke Tuesday in a forum at the Memorial Union.

If chosen, Somerville would fill the position left by Pete Englin in 2005. Since Englin’s departure to become the director of the Department of Residence, both Sharon McGuire and Mimi Benjamin have served as interim dean of students.

Currently, Somerville is the director of enrollment services/registrar for Lorain County Community College in Elyria, Ohio. Her resume boasts numerous student-centered accomplishments, such as updating Lorain’s Code of Student Conduct, advising the student government and developing a “college-experience course” to help with the adjustment to college.

In Somerville’s speech, “Ensuring Accountability to Students and the Public,” she repeatedly referenced getting students to college and keeping them there long enough to accomplish their goals.

“No student enrolls in college expecting not to be there [to complete a degree],” Somerville said.

She said the answer to increasing retention lies in a college’s ability to collaborate, which Somerville sees as one of her strengths.

“Retention of students is a complex issue having multiple causes and requiring a comprehensive approach,” she said.

Although Somerville described her current college’s retention rate as “deplorable,” she said Lorain did have the best community college retention rates in Ohio. She cited the first-generation, low-income composition of the student body as a reason for the low retention.

Marc Harding, ISU director of admissions, asked how Somerville’s focus on retention would apply to transfer students, which Harding said compose 30 percent of the ISU student body.

“In my experience, transfer students appreciate having that [previous] experience known,” Somerville said.

Another “salient” issue named by Somerville was the changing use of technology.

“Student-life doesn’t just occur from nine to five,” Somerville said. She described one incident in which a student e-mailed her at 3 a.m. and expected a response before noon the next day. Somerville said staff has to be cognizant of that to effectively serve the student body.

Somerville said working closely with the student body is one of her strong suits.

“I think students would say that I’m approachable,” she said. “They can count on a straight answer from me, and I think [the students] appreciate that.”

Bruce Allen, academic adviser for liberal arts and sciences, asked Somerville how she would feel if Iowa State’s dean of students position didn’t allow for the direct level of student interaction that she experienced at Lorain. Somerville said although she still considers her relationship with students important, she understands that assisting the faculty so that they can better assist students provides for a trickle-down effect that still connects her with the student body.

Before the forum concluded, Somerville was also asked to address diversity. She said she thinks one of the biggest issues affecting students of color in Ames is their changing environment. Somerville said most of these students are moving from more urban settings into the smaller city of Ames.

Ian Guffy, Government of the Student Body senator and senior in computer science, said he wouldn’t be disappointed with either candidate, though he has some reservations about Somerville.

“She’s had a lot of good experience, but I don’t know if she knows what she’s applying for – what she’s getting herself into,” Guffy said.