Councilmen willing to discuss 19-year-olds in bars

Shelby Hayes

Two Ames City Council members have said they would be open to talk of allowing 19-year-olds into the bars.

Discussion was spurred after the City Council voted to renew Cy’s Roost’s license to serve alcohol for at least another six months, despite its recent under-age violations.

According to the council’s minutes, the decision to renew Cy’s license was made largely out of the council’s interest in keeping things fair between businesses. The council had renewed Phuel’s license after 22 violations while Cy’s had 13.

The abundance of violations caused some council members to speculate on the age required for admittance to the bars.

“I’m not one that thinks the 21 drinking age is the end-all cure-all for solving alcohol-related issues. Even 50-year-olds have problems with alcohol,” said councilman Dan Rice.

“It [allowing 19-year-olds into the bars] would create an outlet for many of our students who are under 21 for socializing, becoming part of the community and getting to know others in the community.

“It would be a social outlet as opposed to [the drinking that goes on] behind closed doors.”

Rice said he would need to hear more research, community discussion and feedback before taking a stance on the issue.

Councilman Ryan Doll said he would also be receptive to hearing more on the topic, but had no comment because a proposal to change the age of bar admittance is not one of the council’s eminent concerns.

Ex-officio councilmember Craig Buske, senior in political science who represents students on the council, said the current lack of discussion is exactly what he’d like to change.

Buske said the idea of allowing 19-year-olds into the bar came from the Safe Venues Committee, formed after the Veishea riots of 2004. The committee, which is currently inactive, was made up of students, community businesspersons and ISU officials dedicated to reducing the prevalence of large, off-campus keg parties.

One of the many ideas to come out of the committee was allowing some of the Campustown bars to admit 19 and 20-year-olds on weekend nights. They were specifically looking at bars that had activities other than drinking, such as pool tables and dance floors.

“My objective is to represent student interest,” said Buske, “and in my three years so far at Iowa State, I’ve found there’s been a distinct lack of entertainment options for underage students.”

Buske said he couldn’t count the times he’s seen students resort to buying a case of beer and sitting in someone’s dorm room. He said his objective would be to provide not only more entertainment options for students under the age of 21, but also create a safer environment for them.

“The theory is that at least if students are at bars, there would be regulation over who can drink and who can’t,” Buske said. “At off-campus parties, anyone can buy a cup.”

Since the Safe Venues Committee isn’t currently active, Buske hopes to reinstate the student interest before taking any kind of proposal before the council.

John Taylor, 22, senior in technical communications, said he would be accepting of the idea.

“Personally, I wouldn’t have a problem with it, as long as the bars were responsible with making sure that the minors weren’t drinking,” Taylor said.

Nicole Bell, 20, junior in construction engineering, agreed.

“It would be nice if [19-year-olds] were allowed in, but you’d have to make sure the bartender or some kind of security person at the bar was checking IDs.”