TeenSpeak: Is (like, totally) inappropriate

Bryan Hooyman

In its 1,500 years of existence, the English language has gone through many changes. Today, it’s all about the fo’ shizzles. Or is it?

This new informal language has been defined by The Christian Science Monitor writer Kristina Lanier as TeenSpeak, and it’s the hip new ‘thang’ among teenagers and young adults.

“Most of us have two vocabularies: One we use at work and another – less formal – vocabulary we use with family and friends,” said Barbara Mack, associate professor of journalism and mass communication.

The English language is constantly evolving. Age-specific code words, such as “groovy” in the ’60s, are a natural part of languages’ evolution, Lanier wrote.

People who use this slang in professional settings, however, can be putting themselves at a disadvantage.

Jeff Fenimore, principal architect at Architects Rudi/Lee/Dreyer, 2712 Stange Road, said using slang can be an obstacle to eventual employment.

“The line to avoid would be the unprofessional English slang that may hurt a potential employee’s credibility,” he said.

Many young adults may not be aware of the impact of poor language skills, and may even use this dialect in reports and job applications.

Lulu Rodriguez, associate professor of journalism and mass communication, said she is frightened by how students’ speech patterns are beginning to show up in their written work.

“I may catch it, due to the length of time I overhear this ‘misuse’ spoken daily,” Rodriguez said.

Some students, however, aren’t concerned with the increasing use of slang in more formal situations.

“The language we use will always continue to change, but I don’t think that it’s a bad thing,” said Mitchell Marovets, senior in mechanical engineering.

“I’m sure in the future it’ll be different than it is today, but as long as it is in context with everyone else I don’t see a problem.”

Mack said young adults must learn where and when relaxed grammar is appropriate.

“There is a time and place where we can use this TeenSpeak with our friends, and quite possibly our family, as well. However, proper English usage still reigns in the classroom,” she said.

In many cases, students are truly unaware of how their language usage may affect them in the workplace. Jody Graden, lecturer in journalism and mass communication, said she has noticed more negative effects than positive effects over her tenure.

“Positive [effects] would occur if your co-workers are either young or if your company – by any chance – had a younger client to sell to,” Graden said. “Negative [effects] are due to how our language has become a bit more lax between one another, yet remains very professional. In the corporate world, it is very common to hear many adults – young and old – to incorporate or blend these two worlds together.”

Mack said the problem is larger than students using relaxed language when it is not appropriate: Many students are actually unable to use standard language.

“I’m disturbed at the number of students I see who are incapable of using the more formal language that should be used in the corporate world. Many don’t develop the language skills necessary to succeed in higher level jobs. Their writing and speaking skills condemn them to remain at an entry-level job for their entire careers,” she said.

This idea is not lost on all students. Adrienne Smith, sophomore in pre-journalism and mass communication, said poor communication skills exaggerate age and cultural gaps.

“TeenSpeak is negatively affecting young professionals, making it difficult to not only communicate generation to generation, but on an international level, as well,” she said.

Carol Chapelle, professor of English, said she the linguistic change isn’t a major evolution, but said TeenSpeak does help young adults develop their own persona.

“TeenSpeak plays an important role as a means of expressing individual identity and group affiliation – like the clothes that some students wear,” Chapelle said.

Although slang is becoming more prevalent, some students have acquired the etiquette of language usage. Anthony Alleman, senior in construction engineering, said he has learned when not to “keep it real.”

“I may say fo’ shizzle to my friends at the bar, but I wouldn’t say fo’ shizzle to my boss,” he said.