GSB supports Black Cultural Center

Joe Augustin and Katie Schmitt / S

The Black Cultural Center received a hefty sum of money to put toward renovations of its building, which brings it closer to reopening.

The Government of the Student Body voted unanimously to give $10,000 to help with repairs for the center, which is located at 517 Welch Ave. The building suffered damage during the winter of 2003 when water pipes in the basement burst.

Jonnell Marion, Black Student Alliance president, gave a presentation with Brandon Kennedy, Buchanan Hall senator, about the history of the center.

Marion described the center as a place where “people can congregate and learn about black culture.” He also said it serves as a home away from home for many students and as a place where positive partnerships can be made.

“I sincerely appreciate the senate’s sensitivity,” Marion said. “I am excited to try and get [the center] open by Veishea weekend.”

Marion said he is excited about what the task force is doing and is hopeful it will help to portray its importance to the ISU and Ames communities.

Kennedy informed the senate of some of the activities that the center has been involved with over the years. He said Gwendolyn Brooks, a Pulitzer prize-winning poet, and Dick Gregory, a comedian and civil rights activist, are among those that have visited the center in the past.

The center is also home to the Jack Trice memorial library and many African and black American artifacts, Kennedy said.

“This has been supported by several past senates but nothing has happened,” said off-campus senator Henry Alliger. “It adds a lot to the offerings of what Iowa State has.”

Jeffrey Rothblum, engineering senator, said the donation was a great way to put student fees toward supporting the university.

In total, the center was in need of $86,000 for maintenance. Fundraising covered $36,000, and the city of Ames and the university each contributed $20,000.

GSB will also be seeking the opinions of the student body in regards to a cultural center in the Memorial Union.

To fund the center, students will be asked to pay an additional $3 in their student fees that will be put on their university bill. This fee will be applied as of the 2007-08 academic year and will continue for 10 years.

GSB President Angela Groh, senior in political science, said there has been discussion of a cultural center for five years and, as a result of their work, a first draft of a potential mission statement has been developed.

According to GSB’s Wednesday agenda, “The cultural center will serve all Iowa State University students by creating an on-campus foundation for ethnic diversity. The cultural center will foster campus awareness and support ethnically diverse students through programming, advising and a social atmosphere.”