Students to strike for climate advocacy Friday

Caitlin Yamada/Iowa State Daily

The Iowa Student Action Group protest tuition and student debt with chants and signs on campus Oct. 15. 

Eli Harris

The Climate Reality Campus Corps at Iowa State will be hosting a youth climate strike and rally on Friday at the Agora on campus. The event will start at 11 a.m. and is expected to last until about 2 p.m.

Senior student Hector Arbuckle said the event is being held in partnership with several organizations and is inspired by a Swedish girl named Gretta Thunberg. The 16-year-old activist is known for her protests outside the Swedish parliament building every Friday to encourage support for the Paris Climate Agreement. Others have followed suit elsewhere and the Iowa State Climate Reality branch will be joining.

“We are trying to raise awareness about climate change and demand action,” Arbuckle said.

The group wants Iowa State to increase its participation in what it sees as an emergency issue. Its goal is that Iowa State University should be 100 percent committed to renewable energy by the year 2030.

Arbuckle also said Climate Reality wants international leaders to ensure the climate temperature doesn’t increase more than 1.5 degrees Celsius. He referenced the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change at the United Nations’ report that there are approximately 12 years left before climate consequences could become catastrophic.

Arbuckle also said he wants the U.S. and Iowa State to have net-zero carbon emissions by 2035.

The event is open to all students.