ISU student killed in vehicle collision

Eric Lund

Laurie Bratten will be remembered by friends and family for many things – her love of children, intelligence, athletic ability and loyalty to her loved ones.

“She touched a lot of lives. She was a bright light in this world, loved people, a very good Christian,” said her mother, Deborah Bratten. “It’s a tragic loss for a lot of people.”

Laurie Anne Bratten, 24, senior in elementary education from Ottumwa, died from injuries sustained following a two-vehicle collision Friday night on Interstate 80 in eastern Iowa near Victor.

According to the Iowa State Patrol accident report, Laurie was driving in the westbound lane shortly before 9 p.m. when she lost control of her vehicle and crossed the median into eastbound traffic. Bratten’s 2000 Toyota pickup truck was struck by a Volvo semi truck traveling in the eastbound lane. The semi was owned by Baker Packing of Boise, Idaho and driven by Beth Ann Austerberry, who was not seriously injured.

Laurie had originally graduated from Iowa State with a degree in business marketing, Deborah said, but didn’t think sales was where she wanted to be.

“She told me, ‘Mom, it’s so wonderful to know what God is calling me to do and that’s work with autistic children,'” Deborah said.

Laurie subsequently went back to school to get a degree in Michigan. “She was a really smart girl, just a genuinely good person.”

Her fiance, Randy Wilharber, 25, said that Laurie cared deeply about Iowa State.

“When she wanted to go back to school, she wouldn’t consider anywhere else,” he said.

Bob, a University of Iowa graduate, said that often before the Iowa-Iowa State football game they would exchange joke e-mails.

“Before the football game every year, we liked to razz each other a lot,” he said. “It was all in good fun.”

Laurie was also a talented athlete, from playing football with her brothers, Bob and Jeff, 21, to being a champion swimmer.

“She never backed down or anything, we’re playing tackle football out there, she’d literally fly and jump at us,” Bob said.

Swimming, however, was her main interest.

“She was a swimmer, a very good one at that. She was all-American, two-time state champion,” Wilharber said.

Laurie went through two shoulder surgeries in high school before a third her freshman year of college forced her to retire from swimming and begin coaching, said Jessica Hess, 24, a friend and fellow ISU alumna.

Laurie also coached swimming for the Ames Cyclone Aquatic Club.

Laurie is survived by her parents, Deborah and Robert Bratten, and her siblings, Bob, Jeffrey and Shelly.elementary education with a focus on special education.

“She wanted to go into special education. She just wanted to help people who were less fortunate,” said her brother Bob Bratten, 26, an electrical engineer in Michigan. “She was a really smart girl, just a genuinely good person.”

Laurie is survived by her parents, Deborah and Robert Bratten, and her siblings, Bob, Jeffrey and Shelly.