Possible ISU students sought by police

Eric Lund

Two young males, possibly ISU students, are being sought by police for questioning in connection with a credit card theft.

The card, taken from an unlocked vehicle on or around Oct. 7, was used three times that day for a total of approximately $190. Video surveillance at a store at which the card was used captured an image of two men dressed in clothing featuring the ISU logo near the sales counter at approximately the same time the stolen card was used. Story County Sheriff’s Office Detective Dick Vinzant said, however, the men are not being considered suspects.

“When we get photos, there’s a lot of people in these photos,” Vinzant said. “These two individuals were in the photo; they were near the register. I’m not saying they did it.”

He said the particular transaction that resulted in the photos took place between 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., although he declined to name the business. No suspects have been identified yet, Vinzant said, because of the way the men were dressed, investigators suspect the men were ISU students – photos have also been placed on the ISU Department of Public Safety Web site, he said.

ISU Police Capt. Gene Deisinger said DPS regularly provides assistance to other law enforcement agencies, but has only recently begun to take advantage of newer technology.

“We made that offer, which Story County accepted,” he said of the posting of the possible ISU students approximately a week ago.

Vinzant said the Story County Sheriff’s Office deals with a fair amount of credit card thefts, and usually apprehends the suspect. He said most suspects are caught through the matching of handwriting samples or video surveillance from businesses the cards are used at.

According to section 715A.6 of the Iowa Code, use of a stolen credit card is an aggravated misdemeanor if the value of the property purchased is less than $1,000.

Vinzant said anyone with information can call him at the Story County Sheriff’s Office at (515) 382-7478. Images of the men and an anonymous identification form can be found on the DPS Web site at www.dps.iastate.edu/police/identify.html.