Business Week creates professional networks

Eric Lund

Business Week, designed to help business students network with professionals, kicked off Wednesday with a barbecue, attended by dozens of students and faculty.

The week, sponsored by private donors and the College of Business, is scheduled to run from Sept. 14 to Sept. 21 and provide students and other participants with a variety of recreational and professional opportunities.

“Really, the purpose of Business Week is to give students a chance to interact with faculty, staff and alumni and others from outside the college, on an informal basis,” said Dan Ryan, program coordinator for the College of Business.

Ryan said several seminars – many administered by business professionals from companies such as Principle Financial and Pella Corporation – are scheduled during the next week. There are 19 seminars on topics including entrepreneurship, financial literacy, and effective resume writing.

Cassandra Nelson, senior in management and Business Week co-chairwoman, said Business Week is about more than professional opportunities, and includes events such as a golf tournament, Mardi Gras night and a $15-a-plate dinner for former Business Week committee members. Since this is the 10th anniversary of Business Week, a “birthday” celebration – complete with a cake – is scheduled for Thursday afternoon.

Holly Seidl, senior in management and Business Week co-chairwoman, said about $13,000 in private funding was spent for the week.

According to the Business Week Web site, the largest sponsors were Allied Insurance, the ISU Business Council, Hertz Corporation, Pella Corporation and Target.

Nelson said she helped plan the event with Seidl and 18 other committee members.

Ryan said the committee began to spend a significant amount of time planning the event last spring.

“When they come back in the fall semester, they hit it really hard,” he said.

Ryan said he does not know what attendance is expected to be.

Seidl said many of the events, including an etiquette dinner, were designed to prepare students for next week’s career fair.