Senior Week 2005 festivities kick off with free food, fun

Samuel Berbano

Seniors counting down the days to graduation can bide their time with free food and events this week.

Senior Week 2005, sponsored by the Student Alumni Leadership Council, ISU Dining and the Alumni Association, began with “Sundaes on Monday” and will feature a luau, breakfast and a barbecue.

“I feel that the planning on it has gone pretty smoothly,” said Kristi Kramer, president of the Senior Class Council and senior in political science. “It should be a fun week.”

Kramer said she hopes seniors would attend and enjoy the fellowship with their classmates.

“For four or more years, students have invested a lot here,” she said. “I’ve had a lot of valuable experience and met great people along the way.”

Nathan Zoromski, junior in finance, is on the committee that planned Senior Week events. Zoromski said he is excited about the breakfast served by ISU faculty and staff from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Tuesday in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

“The relationship between students and their professors and ISU administrators has been pretty one-way over the past four years, and now they can turn the tables some,” Zoromski said.

“I think everyone can interact on a more social level, too, when they’re out of class.”

Zoromski said he feels graduates should also consider joining the Alumni Association.

“A lot of people think that all the association does is rake in big bucks from alumni, but it’s more than that. As much as Iowa State needs contributions from alumni, the university also needs their loyalty,” he said.

Jeff Johnson, president of the Alumni Association, said the events and experiences were intended to keep seniors as part of the ISU community after graduating.

He said Senior Week events, Cyclone Alley and the 5,000 members of the Student Alumni Association were contributing to the regular increases in membership.

According to the ISU Fact Book, the university had 203,023 living alumni in fall 2004.

Johnson said 190,000 of those alumni are in the online directory for Alumni Association members.

“You can’t beat the … increasing success ISU is having fundraising-wise, athletically and academically — Iowa State rocks,” Johnson said.

After graduation, Kramer said she hopes seniors keep in touch with the university by visiting regularly.

“The experiences at Iowa State will continually shape their lives post-graduation,” Kramer said.

“By attending future homecomings, Veishea celebrations and department or college festivals, one can stay connected to the university.”