Special election sees low turnout

Eric Lund and Jared Strongs

Tuesday’s city special election was marked by low voter turnout.

Only 3,956 people, or 8.5 percent of eligible voters, participated. Of the total votes, 266 came from polling locations on campus.

“It’s been pretty typical of a low-turnout election,” said Jan Bauer, a poll worker in Ward 3 Precinct 2. “But I had expected a little larger turnout.”

Voter turnout was highest in ward 2-4, located in northwest Ames, with 490 votes, although 72.45 percent were in opposition to shorter term lengths. Turnout was also high in traditionally student-dominated areas, like Ward 3 Precinct 5, just south of Towers, with 336 votes, which had 37.2 percent in favor of lower term lengths. Turnout was lowest in Ward 3 Precinct 3, Campustown, with only 27 votes, although 56.2 percent of those were in favor of lower term lengths.

In the last special election, held Sept. 14, 2004, turnout was only 11 in Ward 3 Precinct 3 and 274 in Ward 3 Precinct 5.

Ruth Walker, a poll worker in Ward 4 Precinct 1, said although student turnout appeared low, satellite voting could have spread it out. Two hundred and twenty-two votes were cast last week at satellite voting stations on campus.

Many students who voted expressed strong support of shorter the Student Body speaker of the senate, said because of canvassing by members of the campaign, voter turnout in certain areas, like Ward 2 Precinct 4 in northwest Ames increased dramatically.

Alliger said the campaign was successful by bringing student issues into the limelight.

“To an extent, it’s what I was expecting. I’m disappointed it didn’t go through, but I think a lot of good will come of it,” said Ryan Doll, GSB Towers Residence Association senator. “I just know in the last couple of weeks that we’ve really had some doors open in our ability to talk with city government.”

Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco said he was relieved by the continuance of four-year terms.

Tedesco said he hoped students would remain involved in city government. During the last appointment process, he said, he appointed five students to various boards and committees.

“I think the most important thing about the election was how close it was,” Councilman Matthew Goodman said.

“I’m hoping we can learn from this and be more responsive in some ways.”

Councilman Steve Goodhue said four-years terms would help the council’s planning ability and consistency. Two-year terms increase election costs and deter people from running, he said, though the council would try to keep students included in city government.

The proposal to raise the hotel/motel tax won because voters saw the benefits the Ames Convention and Visitors Bureau could bring to the city with increased funding, said Dan Withrow, a spokesman for the Hotel/Motel Tax Committee.