GSB will focus on funding for ISPIRG and Campustown Student Association

Alicia Ebaugh

Two groups whose bills have already created lengthy discussion in the Government of the Student Body will be involved in more debates Wednesday, making for what some GSB officials said will be a long night.

Bills involving the Iowa Student Public Interest Research Group and the Campustown Student Association will be discussed at Wednesday’s GSB Senate meeting.

If passed, one bill would give ISPIRG nearly $3,000 in funding and make it a student-funded office of GSB.

ISPIRG is a nonpartisan group that brings students’ interests and concerns with societal problems to legislative bodies. This semester, ISPIRG sponsored the New Voters Project.

Chelsea Lepley, president of ISPIRG, said the GSB finance committee had encouraged the group last week to pursue becoming a student-funded office, which would put it under different regulations than other student groups and give them priority attention in the allocation process. But Monday night, members of the finance committee voted 5-4 against supporting ISPIRG as student-funded office.

“I voted no because I think it’s best to leave it in the middle of the road,” said Andrea Smook, Richardson Court Association senator and finance committee member. “I think this is an issue senate should decide for itself.”

Jeremy Schweitzer, at-large member of the finance committee, said he disagreed with the committee’s decision to not make a recommendation because it is an issue on which the committee should take a stand.

“We’ve been telling them 12 million things, and we need to start forcing some decisions,” he said.

Speaker of the Senate Henry Alliger said discussion about the group isn’t giving a view on what direction the discussion of these bills will take.

“There is a full third of the senate that is very supportive of ISPIRG, but there is also a small group that nothing will change their minds about the negative aspects,” Alliger said. “The majority of the senate is in the middle, either waiting to be convinced or arguing with themselves over the group’s merits.”

Alliger said one concern is that senators don’t know what benefits a full-time campus organizer would bring — a component Lepley said is essential for the group.

When the bill for ISPIRG funding went to the GSB finance committee two weeks ago, nearly $15,000 that would have gone to pay for a full-time campus organizer was cut.

A bill that would establish a senate seat for a member of the newly formed Campustown Student Association was defeated last week, but College of Business Senator David Stout, who voted no, said he or someone else will most likely reintroduce it Wednesday.