Students encouraged to voice their perspective on Iowa State’s campus climate

Mary Valentine

The deadline to complete the Campus Climate Survey is approaching. 

The 2019 Campus Climate Survey allows Iowa State students to anonymously voice issues relating to sexual assault and misconduct on campus. The results of the survey will be used to shape campus policies and procedures that will serve to prevent and respond to sexual assault and misconduct, according to Iowa State’s Campus Climate website.

“It’s important for the student opinion to be heard, especially when it comes to serious topics like sexual assault because those are experiences that we live,” said Lucia Burzynski, a sophomore studying kinesiology and health and a community advisor in Larch Residence Hall.

Not only will the survey assist the university in understanding campus climate, but also help students to understand misconduct and assault. 

The survey was last given to Iowa State students in 2015, and there were several outcomes that have sparked change on campus since. Among these changes and implementations are increased education on Title IX, enhancements to the Sexual Misconduct Policy, the campus Sexual Assault Prevention program, the Green Dot violence prevention program and the expansion of resources for response to campus community allegations of sexual assaults.

Even with these changes, Iowa State’s campus climate continues to change over time, which is why the survey is reoccurring.

Iowa State President Wendy Wintersteen stated in her email to all Iowa State students that participation is important for all students, even if they have not experienced sexual assault or misconduct, and that everyone’s perspective on our campus’ climate is significant. 

The survey takes approximately 20 minutes to take and is completely anonymous. As an additional incentive, all those who visit the Campus Climate website attached to the link in their emails are entered in a sweepstakes to win a $100 Amazon gift card, which 10 winners will receive.

March 31 is the last day to complete the survey. An email with a link to the survey will be sent out to all students again Wednesday.