The evolution — and prevention — of academic dishonesty

Keith Ducharme

The Center for Teaching Excellence hosted a workshop on academic dishonesty Tuesday afternoon.

The workshop was designed to help faculty at Iowa State understand the rules and regulations regarding student misconduct.

Bethany Schuttinga, assistant dean of students and co-coordinator of the workshop, said they decided to hold this workshop because it had been awhile since there had been a discussion on academic dishonesty at Iowa State.

The discussion started with a panel of students who held opinions on the current state of cheating among their peers.

Schuttinga showed statistics compiled by CNN, showing 75 percent of high school students admitted to cheating at one point, and 50 percent believed copying answers and questions from a test was not cheating.

At Iowa State, there were 78 cases of academic dishonesty reported for the 2000-2001 school year, 63 cases reported for the 2001-2002 school year, and Schuttinga said she projects a slight future increase in reported cases from last year.

The faculty broke into small groups and worked through case studies involving scenarios on how to deal with academic misbehavior. Copies of Iowa State’s academic regulations were passed out to help determine the best solutions to various academic problems.

The faculty shared their own insight on the matter and Schuttinga provided ways to combat academic misconduct. She said the best way to prevent academic dishonesty is with clear terms of cheating in every class, responding immediately to misconduct when it occurs, and preparing and planning before confronting a student.

Schuttinga said it was vital to stress the importance of honest and integrity in our complex society.