EDITORIAL:Weighing the cost of a good education

Varnit Khanna

In the wake of large tuition increases at Iowa’s three state universities, an unstable economy and statewide cutbacks, college students and potential college students have had the difficult choice of deciding between two-year and four-year institutions.

Issues of affordability and quality of education have topped the arguments for and against attending a two-year community college rather than a four-year institution.

In the Oct. 23 Daily article “Community college enrollment increases,” Sen. Johnie Hammond, D-Ames, directly attributed the 11 percent rise in enrollment in two-year schools to the regent institutions’ tuition increases.

At the same time, however, Hammond questioned the quality of education students receive if they attend a community college.

In the same article, Karen Pierson, vice president for student services at North Iowa Area Community College (NIACC), argues that the increased enrollment community colleges across Iowa are seeing can be more related to the overall condition of today’s economy. Pierson said during an economic slowdown, many people turn to education as a way to improve job skills and increase their chances of succeeding in the work force.

She also highlighted other draws of community colleges, saying many students want to spend their first two years near home and then go to a larger school.

While it is true many community college students first start out at these two-year institutions because of marginal grades, perhaps they just aren’t ready for life at a university right out of high school.

It doesn’t necessarily correlate into the quality of education a community college has to offer. NIACC, Des Moines Area Community College and Kirkwood Community College all require the same textbooks, contact time for credit hours and are even accredited by the same agencies as universities.

Not to mention the idea that classes are easier at the community college level is an inaccurate and misguided one. Class size at community colleges is relative to a conducive learning environment — a student is more inclined to retain material in a class of 30 versus a class of 300.

Students aren’t trading in Iowa’s state universities for a cheaper alternative, though the tuition increases do put a spotlight on the economic benefits of community colleges.

Although most two-year colleges are a pipeline into four-year universities, that does not mean one is superior over the other.

It all boils down to getting an education, regardless of the institution attended or costs paid.

Editorial Board:Cavan Reagan, Amber Billings, Rachel Faber Machacha, Charlie Weaver, Zach Calef, Ayrel Clark.