ISU women shed some clothes for a chance in Playboy

Marcus Charter

Watch for bunnies on campus. Playboy bunnies, that is.

Playboy magazine representatives were recruiting Tuesday and Wednesday for their “Girls of the Big 12” issue. They found several ISU women who are willing to bare their bodies for the rest of the student body to see.

Chelo, Playboy producer, led the interviews in a conference room at The Hotel at Gateway Center, U.S. 30 and Elwood Drive.

Her mission while at Iowa State was to find five ISU women who were right for the magazine. Of those five, two will make it into the national magazine, which will be released in the fall. The other three women will appear in a separate issue featuring only college students.

The Playboy hopefuls were asked to complete questionnaires that covered everything from hobbies to cup size. Applicants then donned two-piece bathing suits for a round of photographs. Nudity, at this phase, was optional.

One of the women auditioning was Susan Lueck, junior in art and design.

“I’m a little nervous, but it’s more fun than anything. Me and my roommate have been laughing about it nonstop,” she said.

There are no specific requirements set when Playboy seeks college women, Chelo said.

“We want to see how photogenic they are, and how comfortable they are once the camera goes up,” she said. “We are not looking for breast size or anything like that.”

As several women waited for their turn with the photographer, Chelo reminded the anxious ones, “we don’t do coochie shots.”

There is no requirement to pose totally nude.

Models who are partially nude or clothed are eligible to apply, depending on the specifications of the shoot.

Willingness to shed clothes, however, is a plus, Chelo said.

Five future Playboy bunnies from Iowa State were chosen Wednesday at 10 p.m., then notified by telephone, Chelo said. At that point, they’re able to decide whether they’ll pose.

Callie Bair, freshman in liberal arts and sciences, was excited about the possibility of making the cut.

“It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” she said.

Bair, who posed topless in her test shots, said the photo process was “really comfortable and really quick.”

Those chosen to appear in the magazine will receive $500 if they pose totally nude, or $400 if posing partially nude.

The names of the five ISU students chosen to appear in the Women of the Big 12 Playboy edition will not be disclosed until the publication’s release in October.