Hill discusses diversity at Iowa State

Marcus Charter

Diversity was the focus of an informal question-and-answer session for the second candidate for dean of the College of Business Tuesday.

Seated at the head of the table at Beardshear Hall, candidate Ronald Hill fielded questions from about a dozen people.

“Diversity is not color. It is taking someone with different perspectives and points of view and embracing them,” Hill said when asked to summarize his beliefs on diversity.

Hill, professor of social responsibility at the University of Portland-Oregon, used several examples and personal experiences to illustrate his work with diversity , as well as the importance of its existence in the college environment.

He said he’s volunteered to help impoverished mothers and children and includes diversity in his teaching. At the University of Portland, he began an “entrepreneurial module” that enabled business students to get involved with a minority- or female-owned business.

Another area Hill spoke about was the lack of faculty diversity.

He said the lack of diversity in upper academia is because once professionals of color reach doctorate status, there is simply too much demand for their services. This means that schools such as Iowa State lose out to more prestigious universities.

Hill also explained his policy on discrimination based on sexual orientation.

“I have zero tolerance for it,” Hill said.

Jackie Blount, associate professor of curriculum and instruction, said she liked what she heard from Hill.

“He placed a lot of emphasis not just on protecting rights and preventing discrimination, but he was able to name a number of concrete programs that could be implemented to enrich the experience of students, faculty, and staff,” Blount said.

“It is important to me to have people who can understand and see clearly the distinct challenges diverse populations face. A lot of times it’s left unsaid and people struggle in silence.”

The diversity discussion completed a busy two days for Hill, who will leave to make room for the next candidate, Kenneth R. Evans, associate dean of marketing at the University of Missouri Columbia. Evans will arrive on campus Thursday.