New ‘International Nest’ provides studying and comfort space for students

Katlyn Campbell/Iowa State Daily

International students learn the meaning behind American sayings such as “once in a blue moon,” “to cut corners” and “take it with a grain of salt” during open hours at the International Nest located in room 34 at Parks Library. The Nest is a space for international students to relax, socialize and study.

Elizabeth Khounlo

An opportunity for new study space and some culture exchange has recently opened at Parks Library. Located on the lower level in room 34, The International Nest is dedicated to international students and any domestic students wanting to hang out, study and learn more about each other.

In the fall, the provost put out a request for ways to support international students and the library management team put in a proposal for this space. Due to the efforts of librarian Heather Lewin and graduate assistant Hannah Dong, this room became a reality.

The International Nest features two separate areas, one focused on study and another on socializing. Whiteboards, computers and small study spaces are in one section of the room, while the other side has an abundance of seating, desks and plushy bean bags. There are games and craft supplies available along with hot water and mugs.

Although the Nest is fairly new, students are already finding great use of the space. Shau Wen Zhe, a transfer student from Malaysia and sophomore in mechanical engineering, recently started studying at the Nest about a week ago. He enjoys the availability of space and the quietness of the room.

Another transfer student from Malaysia, Litt Yang Hoh, a junior in aerospace engineering, appreciates the quiet space as well and his ability to focus in this study environment.

Dong, an international student herself, and Lewin hope to provide a comfortable space for international students to feel welcome and build the community between domestic students.

“Learning about somebody else’s culture really opens your eyes to how other people think and how other parts of the world are different than your own,” Lewin said. “And so often, we don’t interact, and I think that’s such a travesty that you have this great opportunity to meet so many other people from so many other places and to gain such perspective, that why not take advantage and build those relationships and get to know somebody who’s a little different from you.”

Aside from studying and socializing, the International Nest provides a variety of programs. One such program is a series of short introductions to various aspects of the library, where experts in a particular area give a 10 to 15 minute presentation on a topic.

This is held from 12:15 to 12:30 p.m. every Tuesday next door to the Nest, in Parks Library room 31.

English Together is a program through the International Students and Scholars Office that allows international and domestic students to connect while learning English together.

These sessions are held from 4 to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday in the Nest. Another chance for students to connect is weekly games nights in the Nest from 5 to 7 p.m. Fridays.

The International Nest is a work in progress and is expanding and collaborating with organizations all over campus. Currently, the Nest is working with the Student Wellness Center and Graduate College for future events.

Enjoy a cup of tea while you visit the Nest and mark your hometown on the map. To stay updated with the International Nest, follow @ISU_LibraryNest on Instagram and Twitter.