Students look for jobs at Business/LAS fair

Marcus Charter

Hilton magic turned to Hilton traffic Wednesday as hundreds of ISU students descended upon the coliseum floor for the Business/Liberal Arts and Sciences Spring Career Day.

More than 100 business representatives were in Ames to gather resumes and answer questions from students looking for jobs and internships.

Erik Distler, junior in accounting and finance, was among those students seeking an internship, as well as some interviewing experience.

“It is good to get your name out and get a feel for what it is going to be like when I go out and get a real job,” Distler said.

Brett Bumgarner, junior in management, was another student hoping to find a summer internship at the career fair.

“I hope to get three interviews and a full-time job for the summer,” Bumgarner said.

Bumgarner was one student who had done his homework on the companies present prior to attending the fair.

Throughout the building, students were sitting in the Hilton seats, jotting down notes and making lists of the companies they wanted to visit, before heading into the congestion on the floor.

Charidy Wright, member of the Career Day committee, was pleased with the turnout by both companies and students.

“I think we had one company that was a no-show, so we are very happy with that,” said Wright, graduate student in educational leadership and policy studies.

“We want to have a steady stream of students, and we have had that.”

Not all students were eager about their job possibilities or the demeanor of some of the companies in attendance.

Casey Wistrom, junior in communication studies, wondered why a few companies were even at the event.

“Some companies weren’t even taking resumes. I think to be here you would want to do that. Otherwise what is the point,” Wistrom said.

Joel Ehlers, senior in agricultural business, summed up the feelings of a lot of those in attendance.

“I think the likelihood of nailing something down because of coming to this is rather nil,” Ehlers said.