Vegge narrowly wins 3rd Ward

Anna Holland

The highest voter turnout in Ames in four city elections ended in two close races Tuesday.

The turnout was 21.3 percent of Ames residents, said Mary Mosiman, county auditor and commissioner of elections.

“It’s the highest total in the last four city elections,” she said. “We’re pretty thrilled.”

In the 3rd Ward, Daryle Vegge defeated Bonnie Homstad by 73 votes.

In that ward, which includes several fraternity and sorority houses and the Towers Residence Association, 1,088 of 9,577 registered voters, or 11.4 percent, voted.

Vegge, a 54-year-old marketing specialist, said he plans to communicate with ISU students because he believes they are very important to the city.

“I think I need to be in touch with them,” he said. “Student forums and the Government of the Student Body are a good place to start.”

Vegge also said he thinks students need to understand city government.

“I want to invite the students to a City Council meeting,” he said. “I think it’s worth coming to, not only because of issues, but to see the process in Ames.”

Vegge will take office Jan. 1. Until then, he said, he plans to do a lot of reading.

“The first thing I need to learn is what the processes are and how they work,” he said.

Vegge said he’d like to work more on “livening up” downtown and Campustown.

“Campustown right now is a student mecca,” he said. “It’d be nice to see it appeal to the community.”

In the at-large race, Councilman Russ Cross narrowly defeated Bernie Gurstein by 374 votes.

Cross also emphasized the importance of student involvement in local government.

“The student population adds much to the community and vitality of Ames,” he said. “The community needs to understand what’s important to students.”

He also said students should be involved with local government.

“Sixty percent of students live in nonuniversity housing,” he said. “They’re impacted by issues such as zoning.”

Cross said students should pay attention to upcoming issues such as improved transportation plans, more bike paths and sidewalks, and expanded CyRide.

Mayor Ted Tedesco and Councilwoman Sharon Wirth, 1st Ward, won uncontested races.