GSS looks at graduate health insurance

Luke Willamon

With the climbing costs of health care, members of the Graduate Student Senate say the university’s health insurance policy should give graduate students the most coverage for their money.

The senate discussed the health insurance plan for graduate students with assistantships at Monday’s GSS meeting in the Memorial Union.

GSS President Debbie Martinez said because medical care costs are increasing, it is in the best interest of the graduate students of Iowa State to have the lowest bid possible on an insurance plan.

“Saving money and employees’ money is always a good decision,” Martinez said.

Deb Vance, program coordinator for International Education Services and member of the Student Health Insurance Review Committee, explained the recent history of health care insurance at Iowa State.

Vance said when graduate students were covered by Wellmark and it came time to bid for a possible new plan in March 2000, Wellmark’s bid was more than $8 million. GM Southwest’s bid was more than $7 million, so GM Southwest’s offer was chosen. The bid came about because Wellmark planned to increase its premiums by nearly 30 percent.

“Medical care is increasing much faster than inflation,” Vance said. “The objective is to get the best possible benefit for the least possible cost.”

Another issue with the plan is that it only covers ISU graduate students with assistantships, and has an 80 percent benefit for their children, she said.

“We always have to balance the richness of the benefit versus the cost of the premium,” Vance said.

GSS Vice President Dee Egdorf said she is having personal complications with the current plan because her husband, who does not have an assistantship, is not covered in her plan.

“I always tell my husband that [he] is not allowed to get sick,” Egdorf said.

Martinez said the forum gave the senate a better idea as to what a good insurance company should look like for ISU graduate students.

“It was very informative in terms of what we as Iowa State are looking for in terms of an insurance company,” she said.

Michelle Bohan, biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology senator, is on the Student Health Insurance Review Committee. She said she is concerned about the current GM Southwest insurance plan for graduate students.

“There is a lack of communication and consistency,” Bohan said. “They are not timely in paying bills.”

Vance said the decision as to whether the health care service will be changed will be made by Feb. 11 at a Student Health Insurance Review Committee meeting.

Motions to support the acquisition of tasers for the Department of Public Safety, a motion to support the name change of the DPS to the University Police Department and a motion regarding racial profiling at Iowa State were tabled for a special meeting to be called in December because of a lack of quorum. at Monday’s meeting.