College life more than independence

Zayira Jordan

Neale Donald Walsh, in one of his books of the series “Conversations with God,” questioned the societal arrangement of having our young adults as child bearers as well as educators. The point he tried to get across was that people have children when they are still children themselves.

He also proposed that, although the elders have been denied of an active role in our society, they should be the ones to raise children. They are the ones that have grown up enough, that have learned enough as to bring a fountain of wisdom about life to our young. I totally agree. It might be impossible to bring this to reality at least for the next century. Still, it should be taken into consideration.

The schemas we live by are to be constantly questioned. This is the only way to improve our quality of life, to update the existing paradigms.

The first two weeks of school are almost over. The feelings of loss that parents experienced when leaving their beloved offspring at the dorms are fading. After making sure their babies were provided with items of the utmost need such as the most expensive toothpaste and the indispensable black light, mom and dad went home. Tears were not revealed, but they were undoubtedly present. The case for most freshmen.

The struggle for independence had just begun: “Please, mom, I’m okay. Don’t worry. I’ll have breakfast tomorrow.” (after the fifth call of the day).

I am a senior this year and I am enjoying an incredible experience. My son Francis came to study here. It seemed an eternity would pass before he would enter kindergarten, and now he is here in college. The camaraderie of being students side by side with my son is immensely valuable. Francis and I still fight like most roommates.

Last Saturday, for instance, I was to blame for postponing his urgent need to buy his Math book. The conflict reached unsuspected heights.

The diplomat in me had to make its appearance. A negotiating team of cells intervened between the left and right side of my brain; one yelling to impose my authority, the other whispering to behave as an equal. I managed to invite him later to join me and my friends at the coffee shop and it worked. After a few hours of hostility, he finally smiled again.

The proximity campus life has brought to our life is somewhat menacing to our respective privacies, but we are having a good time getting to know each other as adults. We’ve been given the chance of a lifetime – to be partners, friends.

As unique as it may seem, this should happen more often. Parents and offspring should allow themselves, in some kind of way, to understand the experiences each of them go through. I wouldn’t dare to suggest that, all of a sudden, the parents of America quit their jobs and come to college with their kids, although that would be great.

This important transition is just an opportunity to question the establishment. For parents to open their minds to the new realities their kids will face as adults, to try to correct their paths, but to respect and value their decisions. For new college students to look at the immense responsibility of designing the rest of their lives and treasure the wisdom of those who have done it before them.

The new life that students throughout the campuses of the nation strive for, the independence of being away of their parents, is highly overrated. The process of entering college is very traumatic. It is a huge step young adults should value as a chance to grow more open, to gain an understanding of responsibilities of those who have been responsible for their upbringing.

Hey, guys, see it as the chance of a lifetime for becoming more proximate, growing nearer to your parents. And in the meantime, for God’s sake, don’t forget to eat your breakfast.

Zayira Jordan is a senior in journalism and mass communication from Hato Rey, Puerto Rico.