Unicycle Club brings one-wheel riding to ISU

Tracy Tucker

While cyclists compete with pedestrians for sidewalk space, the ISU Unicycle Club has made its way onto the pavement – one wheel at a time.

President George Barnes, sophomore in mechanical engineering, became interested in unicycling by reading bicycle magazines. An article about a unicyclist who went cross country, jumping picnic tables, interested Barnes and he began learning to ride, he said.

After he learned to ride, Barnes said his friends became interested. With Mason Hoyer, Sports Club Council representative, and club treasurer Jaydn Bonifas, sophomore in chemical engineering, Barnes created the ISU Unicycle Club last spring.

“The purpose of the club is to unite existing interest in unicycling, teach unicycling to those unfamiliar with it, and organize events that promote interest in unicycling,” Barnes said.

The club meets Wednesday nights at the basketball courts outside Beyer Hall. During the winter months, the club members meet in the basement of State Gym. Meetings allow practice for those learning to ride, as well as discussion of business important to the club. One doesn’t need experience to participate.

“We usually meet Wednesday nights but don’t just show up – drop the officers an e-mail first,” Barnes said.

Learning to ride really is an individual thing, said Hoyer, freshman in computer engineering.

“It all depends on how much time and hard-core concentration you put into it,” he said.

The average time needed to be taught and master the basic skills is about nine hours, Hoyer said.

For students who want a little one-on-one time with an experienced unicyclist, additional appointments can be made.

Barnes said he would like to see the ISU Unicycle Club bring the Twin Cities Club from Minneapolis, Minn., to Ames for a demonstration at a football game.

Additionally, after more members learn to ride, Barnes said he hopes to have a few people ride unicycles on Ragbrai next summer.

Last year, the club brought in a performer for the Veishea celebration, and members hope to enter some unicyclists in the parade this year.

Depending on funding, Barnes said he would like to see the club take a trip sometime in the future.

For more information about the ISU Unicycling Club, contact the officers at or visit the Web site at www.stuorg.iastate.edu/isuuc.