IRHA to deal with food service, tuition this fall

Jamie Ridnour

High goals have been set for the fall 2001 agenda of the organization that represents residence hall students.

The Inter-Residence Hall Association exists to represent the interests of the students living in residence halls and is made up of the Richardson Court Association, the Towers Residence Association and the Union Drive Association.

The organization receives $3 from each residence hall student every semester to fund dances, haunted houses, Free Friday Flicks, the Order of the Rose and Chessman and part of 88.5 KURE, the campus radio station.

Wilson Hall representative Chris Knight said IRHA exists to solve residents’ problems and give the students something to believe in. The main issues he wants to deal with this year are tuition, the Academic Learning Center and improving communication lines with the Department of Residence.

IRHA President Paul Duncan said he has several ideas for ways to improve residence hall life. He said they would like to see improvements in “meals, as well as in cleanliness” within food service. He wants to improve all aspects of parking at the residence halls, but said IRHA needs to investigate the situation further.

He said IRHA will be setting up a ResHelp Web site that would be tied in with maintenance and the Department of Residence.

“[It’s] one-stop shopping for customer service in the residence halls,” he said.

IRHA Vice President Dave Boike said he and Duncan are setting out to fulfill campaign goals by creating committees to look at these matters and others, such as the USA Today newspaper readership program, washing machine problems and changing the format of meal plans.

“[IRHA is trying] to get positive change brought about,” Boike said.

Goal-setting is something IRHA adviser John Shertzer said he encourages.

“I think this year IRHA has done a good job of setting goals and striving to accomplish them,” he said.

Shertzer said IRHA needs to ask itself if what it is doing is in the best interest of the students. He said IRHA will undergo a continuing process of goal making throughout the year.

The organization meets all year at 7 p.m. Thursdays. For more information, visit IRHA’s Web site at http://irha.stuorg.iastate.edu.