Students tutor area youth

Brian Stillman

Students who are interested in helping young people increase their learning experience are encouraged to join in the America Reads/America Counts program.”They have the opportunity to interact with younger students and help them develop their academic abilities,” said Pam Patterson, program coordinator in career services.The program is directed by ISU Career Services and is a federally funded program available to all students who are eligible for work-study funding, she said.Students involved in the America Reads/America Counts program provide reading and math tutoring to students in Ames and surrounding community elementary schools, Patterson said.”The students who are involved in the program go through nine hours of AR/AC training before they begin helping at the schools and are prepared to be able to teach the students in a one-on-one or small group atmosphere rather than just being a teacher’s helper,” she said.Josh Tobey is one of the students who is currently involved with the program. “I have been a tutor at Roosevelt Elementary school in Ames for the last three semesters and have had a great time working with the kids and watching their development,” said Tobey, junior in elementary education.There are currently 39 ISU students working in the program, but Patterson said she hopes to increase that number to 100 for the coming fall semester.”The response to the program has been amazing,” Patterson said. “Schools that have had our tutors are requesting more, and we are getting calls from schools that have heard about the program and would like to join.”The staff will be recruiting students for the program soon after spring break and are holding informational meetings March 26, 27 and 29 in Lagomarcino Hall, Patterson said.Students who are involved in the program are paid $9 an hour for their time in the classroom as well as their training period and their travel miles. Anyone interested in getting involved in the program is encouraged to contact Patterson in the ISU Career Services office located in 12 Alumni Hall. “This is a great learning opportunity for students and is an excellent opportunity for human development, as well,” Patterson said.