Hello, Mr. President; goodbye, Mr. Plow

Brian Stillman

Well, it’s been a quiet week on Lake Laverne. Probably the most newsworthy topic hovering over campus is who will be the next president of the university. Whichever candidate prevails will have some big shoes to fill, not to mention some soiled ones. The main topic that led to so much controversy during Jischke’s term was the debate over research versus teaching. The candidate who will eventually be appointed to the school’s top position will be the one who can best convince the search committee that teaching and research can work hand-in-hand to vastly improve Iowa State and make it the nation’s most highly regarded university. As good as this sounds to every individual that hears it, the bottom line of the search still remains “show me the money.”As much as people complained about Jischke’s other business deals and his favoritism toward research over teaching, the absolute truth is that he made this school a lot of money and that is what covers the university’s bills, lines the university’s pockets, and pays the professors.Another topic of relevance to the ISU community is the appointment of three new members to the Board of Regents. It was only a few months ago that we were calling for the heads of the Regents members for once again boosting our yearly tuition through the ceiling once again. While it was the members who voted to make the increase a reality it was a higher power that put them in that position in the first place. Perhaps I am in the minority but I for one had no idea that the Regent members were appointed by the governor and ratified by the Iowa Senate. It would seem that positions that so greatly affect the state’s major universities should, at the very least, be approved by the universities themselves. Who knows more about the educational needs of the Iowa universities than people involved in the everyday activities that go on at those campuses? Oh yeah, I forgot — politicians know everything.The current hot button topic on campus is the reaction to the Nick Johnson verdict last week. Everyone, including myself, has thrown their views into the collective fire and kept it burning brightly for well over a week.Whether you think Johnson has been extremely overcharged for his actions or are demanding his head be served on a silver platter, the simple fact is that this story is old news and should be laid to rest. Everyone is entitled to 15 minutes of fame in their lifetime and, love him or hate him, Johnson is well over his limit.The feel-good story of the week belongs to ISU wrestler, Cael Sanderson. It’s not often that perfection is achieved in any aspect of life, especially collegiate sports. By earning his 100th victory without a defeat Cael has become one of the greatest wrestlers in NCAA history and gives Cyclone fans memories of another wrestling legend who goes by the name of Dan Gable.This week also saw the farewell show of Ames’ favorite band, Mr. Plow. While it is unfortunate to see them go, we also want to wish them the best of luck with their dream of music stardom on the West Coast. The group has shown us what they are made of and will undoubtedly put a mark on the nation. Thanks for the music, fellas. Ames won’t be the same without you.

Brian Stillman is a sophomore in journalism and mass communication from Emmetsburg.