ISU student dies in Florida

An ISU freshman climbed over the railing of a cruise ship off the coast of Florida, lost his grip and fell overboard, where he died on impact, said police officials in Tampa, Fla.Officials said 19-year-old Michael Hepner, freshman in landscape architecture, was on a week-long trip with his girlfriend on the Carnival Cruise Sensation before he died Jan. 14.”Earlier that night, they got into an argument, and they walked out to the side of the ship,” said Joe Durkin, spokesman for the Tampa Police Department. “The victim climbed over the railing, as if he was going to jump, and decided he was not going to. As he attempted to climb back over, he lost his grip and fell.”The cruise crew attempted to locate Hepner and called the Coast Guard for assistance, Durkin said. The Coast Guard found Hepner two miles off the Florida coast near Tampa, he said. Hepner was taken to Tampa General Hospital, where he died about 7 a.m. from neck and head injuries sustained from the impact of the fall, Durkin said.Durkin said Hepner’s death was classified as an accidental death, “based on the victim’s statements and his efforts that he was trying to climb back up over the railing.”Pete Englin, interim dean of students, said the university was alerted to Hepner’s death Jan. 15.”We verified who his academic adviser was and where he lived and contacted those people,” he said. “He wasn’t yet enrolled for any courses spring semester. My belief is that he was coming back.”Counselors from the ISU Student Counseling Service have also visited residents in Linden Hall, where Hepner lived during the fall semester, said Amy Roozenboom, Linden Hall director. “I did have a counselor come in and talk to the house [about] how to deal with grief,” she said. “We are helping the students out and making sure that they have resources.”