Geoffroy seeks presidency

Sara Tennessen

The fourth and final presidential candidate, Gregory Geoffroy, visited campus Friday and answered questions from members of the ISU community during two open forums. Topics during the forums ranged from dry Veishea to the relevance of free-speech zones.Geoffroy, senior vice president for Academic Affairs and provost at the University of Maryland at College Park, spoke to more than 200 people attending diversity and open forums in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union.”I have spent my entire career in large land-grant universities, and I understand how you get things done in this environment,” he said. “My goal is that Iowa State would be recognized from one end of Iowa to the other as a truly engaged university.”While at University of Maryland, Geoffroy said he has worked with a large lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender group and described the college’s certificate program, equivalent to a minor, in LGBT studies.”This would be a boring world if we were all the same, but we are at the root of it all, humans, and need to be treated as such,” he said.Geoffroy was also asked his opinion about the importance for university faculty members of teaching vs. research, which he said he believes are not mutually exclusive.”The challenge is to get more students involved in research with the faculty,” he said.The significance of alcohol and Veishea was also discussed by Geoffroy, who said tough enforcement of rules has been more efficient than alcohol education in his experience. He said he agreed with the decision to keep the event alcohol-free.”I understand Veishea is currently dry,” he said. “And unless someone can convince me otherwise, I think it should stay that way.”ISU athletics were also mentioned by Geoffroy, who said while strong programs are crucial to building school spirit and support for the university, they must be carefully monitored.”There is no question that there have been all sorts of loyalty created by athletics,” he said. “But you have to watch it. One mistake can really hurt the reputation of the university.”When asked about freedom of expression on campus, Geoffroy said he supports chalking and does not believe students should only be allowed to demonstrate in a limited area.”There are no free-speech zones at Penn State or Maryland,” he said. “Students can chalk anywhere at Maryland, and I think it’s a great way to get messages across.”The importance of international and temporary faculty was also an issue during the forums. Geoffroy said a diverse faculty would benefit students and colleagues.”In order for Iowa State to be a truly great university, it has to attract and retain top-notch people,” he said.Jeremy Hayes, junior in management information systems, attended the forums and said Geoffroy seemed to have a very student-centered focus and a strong commitment to diversity.”I think he’s a pretty good candidate,” he said. “Out of the four, I think he is the one who I like the best.”