Groups to sponsor an evening of American Indian culture

Erin Holtman

Dancing, storytelling and the aroma of buffalo stew will fill the air Saturday night as three student groups celebrate Native American cuisine.

ISU Native American student groups will be hosting a night of food and fun from 5 to 7 Saturday at the Boheme, at 2900 West St.

Alicia Thomas, president of the United Native American Student Society, said the group worked with the American Indian Rights Organization and the American Indian Science and Engineering Society to plan and put on the event.

“We’re having an Indian fry bread and taco feast,” said Thomas, senior in chemistry. “We’ll also be selling buffalo stew and wild rice soup as a fund raiser for our clubs.”

Lynn Paxson, assistant professor of architecture, said the clubs are also bringing in some traditional Native American entertainment.

“In addition to all the great food, Devery Fairbanks from the sociology department and Jerry Stubben, who works in [ISU] Extension, will do some storytelling,” she said. “The groups have also arranged to have Native American music played throughout the night.”

Thomas said the groups wanted to host the event to help students learn more about the Native American culture.

“People aren’t very familiar with Native American students on campus and the things our groups do,” she said. “We would like to let people know that there are Native American groups here. We’re also hoping to recruit people to join because all our groups are open to anyone.”

Paxson said some of the money raised on Saturday night will help fund the Annual Symposium on the American Indian.

“The event runs for four days, making it ISU’s longest-running minority student event,” she said.

Thomas said the symposium will be an enjoyable time for everyone.

“We’re really excited about this and think it will be a lot of fun,” she said. “We just encourage everyone to come meet Native American students and find out about our food and culture.”

While she hopes to see a good turnout from the students, Paxson said she hopes they will approach the night with caution.

“Saturday night will be a great time, but be careful because you may develop an addiction to fry bread,” she said.